Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I'm really stuck as to making a decision between these two Unis. I've applied to study German & beginners Spanish at both, and have an unconditional offer for St A's and a conditional for Edinburgh. The course content for both Unis is similar, but the St A's course is a year longer.

I've lived in Edinburgh all my life and I absolutely love it, but I'm determined to move out and I don't think the University guarantees accomodation for residents of the city. I think it would be a fantastic city for an amazing student experience, but I do know it pretty well and I'm not sure that even a fresh perspective on it (being a student) would be new enough for me.

I haven't yet visit St A's but I'm going to an open day in March. I've talked to a few students and I have a really good vibe about the place. I like the fact that it's really international and is a student town. However, I'm used to living in a big city with lots to do and I'm worried that I won't adapt to life in a small town.

I know most people would say that student life isn't the deciding factor of a choice as important as University but to be honest I'm the kind of person who always needs to know whether they're making the best choice and also where I'm going to be happiest. Basically I love Edinburgh as a city but the teaching of the course is better at St A's.

So, if anyone is in a similar position, or has visited both, then what would be your preference?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I went to St Andrews, so I'm biased, but I had an amazing time there. The teaching quality is very high and there is a lovely social atmosphere to the place. It was also great to live in such a stunning place for four years.

If I had to choose again, I'd pick St Andrews, without a doubt.

No disrespect to Edinburgh though. It's obviously a fantastic uni!

ReputationRep:
    St Andrew's is nice, but really, really tiny! I know a couple of people there though (from Edinburgh as well), and they're having a great time so I guess they've got used to it. Also, it's only a 20 minute bus trip up to Dundee if you want a change of scene every so often. And I'm pretty sure the student nightclubs here run a minibus service to St Andrew's.

If you do decide to stay in Edinburgh you won't get into halls, but you can move into private halls, which are essentially the same thing but run by an external company. We have the Hub here in Dundee, I think it's Unite in Edinburgh. I have a friend back home in private halls and I know a few people here in the Hub, and from what I've heard it's pretty much the same as staying in university accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    First things first, do both courses have the year abroad? Do you want to go abroad for a year? This is obviously a big part of the course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys! It's such a hard decision to make, but I know I'm likely to have great time wherever I go, cause it's what you make it, right?

(Original post by moregano)
    If you do decide to stay in Edinburgh you won't get into halls, but you can move into private halls, which are essentially the same thing but run by an external company. We have the Hub here in Dundee, I think it's Unite in Edinburgh. I have a friend back home in private halls and I know a few people here in the Hub, and from what I've heard it's pretty much the same as staying in university accommodation.
    Thanks for that, I never knew about it til now, I'll check it out Do you have to have other people to move in with or is it like Uni flats where people get put together?

(Original post by TheOneWho)
    First things first, do both courses have the year abroad? Do you want to go abroad for a year? This is obviously a big part of the course.
    Yes both courses have a year abroad. With Edinburgh it's already in the course and stands for the 3rd year but with St Andrews it's an integrated year, making the entire course 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    Private halls can usually accommodate friends together, but also just assign you anywhere. I think it will come down to if you want to do another year or not.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.