Turn on thread page Beta

New Pint Glass designs to be adopted soon? watch

ReputationRep:
    So a while back, The Home Office commissioned a company to design glasses that still feel like a proper pint glass, but are much safer in comparison. The two results so far are these: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8495617.stm

I'm interested - do you object to the traditional pint glass being changed, even for safety's sake? Which one would you prefer out of the two options there? Do you have a better idea to make pint glasses safer?

Personally I think that the first design is pretty nifty - it looks like a pint glass, it's glass on the outside, but it's bonded on the inside to keep it together. The second one just looks way too thick to be a proper pint glass to me.

ReputationRep:
    seriously who could possibly give a ****? it's ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so long as it holds the right amount!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have an objection, but it's bottles that are more of a problem, rather than glasses I think.

I don't really have a preference though. I'm easy like that

ReputationRep:
    If they're that worried about the fact that they can be broken, why not resort to plastic glasses instead like some pubs do?

Sometimes a little common sense is all that's needed. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Thick plastic 'glasses' would make more sense if breakage is what they are worried about.

This whole shape thing is nonsense though as there are a ridiculous amount of shapes available alredy.

The 3/4 pint glasses idea are also a terrible idea. Just because Australians have them does not mean they are cool :no:

ReputationRep:
    Won't they be heavier?

I never drink a pint of anything anyway so it doesn't matter to me. If someone's that desperate to injure someone they'll just smash them over the head with the glass instead of stabbing them or they'll use a bottle. Seems like a bit of a silly thing to be sorting out really.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the second one. I think it'd feel more 'pubby' to be drinking from the second one, whereas the first one looks like the glasses we have in our kitchen. I dunno, really, just the associations I have with them.

ReputationRep:
    How about they try and stop people from hitting each other with pint glasses. Maybe you should go to jail for doing things like that.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of beer and ale drinkers don't like drinking from plastic glasses. Apparently it changes the taste or something...

Also, granted the glasses won't smash and have sharp edges, but won't it just become a very effective thing to batter someone with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    If they're that worried about the fact that they can be broken, why not resort to plastic glasses instead like some pubs do?

Sometimes a little common sense is all that's needed. :facepalm:
    Plastic interferes with the taste of the beer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    seriously who could possibly give a ****? it's ridiculous
    exactly!!!

did you know restaurants are going to start using triangular plates instead of round??? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny28)
    exactly!!!

did you know restaurants are going to start using triangular plates instead of round??? :eek:
    I doubt there's that much of a safety issue with round plates.

Anyway, as long as there isn't much weight difference all is good. (I have a crappy wrist so i can't hold too much on it... holding pints all evening gets a bit wearing on it.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse)
    A lot of beer and ale drinkers don't like drinking from plastic glasses. Apparently it changes the taste or something...

Also, granted the glasses won't smash and have sharp edges, but won't it just become a very effective thing to batter someone with?
    That was my thought when I heard this on the news this morning.

ReputationRep:
    More of these http://www.samueladams.com/Promotion...e/default.html

ReputationRep:
    bottles are far more of a public order concern than glasses

ReputationRep:
    'Nearly 87,000 injuries are caused by glass attacks each year in England and Wales, according to the Home Office. Many more are hurt as a result of accidents. '

HOLY ****ING ****.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Cost, mostly. Plastic glasses aren't re-usable, so they go straight in the bin afterwards. The main reason pubs use plastic cups is for when it gets too busy for the glass stock to be turned around in time, basically it gets too crowded to collect empties and too busy to get them washed in time.

These glasses sound like a good idea to me. The problem with using a standard glass is that they are just so incredibly easy to break, far worse than the glasses you'd have at home. The constant switching between the dishwasher's hot water and a drink's cold water, with hardly any shelf time in between, ages the glass a lot faster than normal use. Even if these glasses were more expensive, they could probably end up paying for themselves in lack of breakages. Next they just need to make wine glass versions. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Cost, mostly. Plastic glasses aren't re-usable, so they go straight in the bin afterwards. The main reason pubs use plastic cups is for when it gets too busy for the glass stock to be turned around in time, basically it gets too crowded to collect empties and too busy to get them washed in time.

These glasses sound like a good idea to me. The problem with using a standard glass is that they are just so incredibly easy to break, far worse than the glasses you'd have at home. The constant switching between the dishwasher's hot water and a drink's cold water, with hardly any shelf time in between, ages the glass a lot faster than normal use. Even if these glasses were more expensive, they could probably end up paying for themselves in lack of breakages. Next they just need to make wine glass versions. :p:
    I meant the thicker plastic glasses, not the disposable ones. They get used in some of the nightclubs in Southampton because they're much easier to clean up afterwards.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.