Turn on thread page Beta

New Pint Glass designs to be adopted soon? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bourney)
    More of these http://www.samueladams.com/Promotion...e/default.html
    I like their winter brew.

ReputationRep:
    A stupid waste of money. If you want to injure someone you'll just beat their face with the new one until its broken. The government should stop wasting time and money on rubbish like this.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by paella)
    A stupid waste of money. If you want to injure someone you'll just beat their face with the new one until its broken. The government should stop wasting time and money on rubbish like this.
    Would you rather a bruise to the forehead, or to be cut open by glass?

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't give a toss though the current ones do my head in anyway, you always get some drunk **** who drops it, leaves glass all over the floor, and then just buggers off without letting the bar know, and then you inevitably stumble into the pile of broken glass later on that night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Would you rather a bruise to the forehead, or to be cut open by glass?
    Being hit on the head with one of those would KO you, in the face it would probably burst your lips, bruise your eyes (perhaps detaching your retina) and break your nose.

ReputationRep:
    I think most people are missing the point and are really insensitive to the victims of these attacks. A lot of glass attacks are split second reactions to something that makes a drunk angry. The attackers are probably too intoxicated to beat someone up. 86,000 times a year shows there is a real problem. With these new glasses, the victims are more likely to get a swollen and bruised face rather than a 9in deep slash and half their cheek hanging off, which will scar them for life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Being hit on the head with one of those would KO you, in the face it would probably burst your lips, bruise your eyes (perhaps detaching your retina) and break your nose.
    You may be right but I think I would rather have a burst lip and a broken nose than a nasty scar on my face for life.

Maybe they should use some sort of flexible glass that doesn't shatter. Too tough to bend with your hands but would mould slightly to the face on high impact and absorb some of the force. Maybe taking it too far but come on 86,000 attacks a year...jeez!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Hey, so long as it holds the right amount!
    I agree,

I don't see how anyone could be against a proposal if it is safe, though a part of me thinks that we shouldn't make a change because the number of chavs killed each year will decrease as a result of this.

Anyway yeah if it holds the same amount fine, but if it holds less but people are still charged the same (which is typical of the sort of thing that may happen, actually) then that would not be fair at all.

ReputationRep:
    As long as it holds a pint.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe this is a news story. I also can't believe that someone got paid, probably a lot of money, to come up with this idea, when the plastic glass already exists.

Purely from an environmental POV, I am against this.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I can hold a glass without it falling on the floor. How clever am I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    seriously who could possibly give a ****? it's ridiculous
    I think someone who has been slashed with one for no reason might give a ****, just a thought lol.

ReputationRep:
    You may be right but I think I would rather have a burst lip and a broken nose than a nasty scar on my face for life.

Maybe they should use some sort of flexible glass that doesn't shatter. Too tough to bend with your hands but would mould slightly to the face on high impact and absorb some of the force. Maybe taking it too far but come on 86,000 attacks a year...jeez!
    86000 a year means you have a 0.172% of getting bottled maximum, in reality that risk is far less. Doesn't seem worth the money tbh.

You may prefer the slightly broken nose or the cracked lip, but would you prefer the detached retina or being KOed then stamped on then being brain damaged for life. My point is, a glass is one of many means to an end. If there were safe glasses, you would be battered with a fist. A glass isn't an offhand weapon, people want to do a certain amount of damage. If the new glass doesn't produce this, they'll just use their fists.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The pint glass is unsafe?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's something very special about the shape and feel of a proper pint glass in your hand, on the table and on your lips. I wouldn't want to lose that. Although I do have a pint glass at home, I can't exactly carry it round with me!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.