Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it too late to apply to PGCE teaching now?

I want to do an SKE, so it would really be a deferred application for a PGCE til 2011, but a place on an SKE now (I know these are probably just as compeitive).

To be really honest, if I didn't get in this year, it wouldn't be the end of the world, I'd just apply again next year. I know its really unlikely, but would it be worth applying? I kind of want to go through the application process so I know what I'm doing next year when I'm out of uni and don't have as much help, but at least I will have been through it all once!

And also, how much weighting is on your reference? I know mine is going to be pretty standard from uni because I really didn't like my tutor. So can I do anything about that?

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    Is it too late to apply to PGCE teaching now?

I want to do an SKE, so it would really be a deferred application for a PGCE til 2011, but a place on an SKE now (I know these are probably just as compeitive).

To be really honest, if I didn't get in this year, it wouldn't be the end of the world, I'd just apply again next year. I know its really unlikely, but would it be worth applying? I kind of want to go through the application process so I know what I'm doing next year when I'm out of uni and don't have as much help, but at least I will have been through it all once!

And also, how much weighting is on your reference? I know mine is going to be pretty standard from uni because I really didn't like my tutor. So can I do anything about that?

Thanks for any help
    Which subject would you like a ske in out if interest? I may also take this path, maybe we can help each other out.

Im not sure how competitive ske is. If you go on the TDA website you can find all the places that do SKE in you locality. Hopefully that will help.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookingtoteach)
    Which subject would you like a ske in out if interest? I may also take this path, maybe we can help each other out.

Im not sure how competitive ske is. If you go on the TDA website you can find all the places that do SKE in you locality. Hopefully that will help.

Good Luck
    Thanks, I'm looking to do an SKE in Maths, but have a degree in a Biology subject. There are two providers in my area who I am interested in going to, but I'm still not 100% sure about how you get on SKE.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'm looking to do an SKE in Maths, but have a degree in a Biology subject. There are two providers in my area who I am interested in going to, but I'm still not 100% sure about how you get on SKE.
    im like almost in the exact same position. I too have no idea how to get on the SKE. However im pretty sure where not too late for SKE's that start on january. If you go to the uni websites from the tda link they should link you to the ske site of the respective unis your looking for.

ReputationRep:
    I've never met my referee so I'm not really sure what she has managed to write about me beyond what I told her to write, I'd really like to see my reference just because it will be funny... its my director of studies at uni but I've never actually met the woman as in the 4 years of my degree I've ended up with a different person practically every semester and you only would ever meet them if you had a problem with something.

The reference is more for them to confirm that you're suitable to study on an academic course etc (hence it has to be an academic reference) then you can add a secondary one for your work experience contact but it doesn't seem like they actually contact them

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thanks guys! I really hope my referee will be alright. I'm not going to ask him what to write or anything, but whatever he wants to put will be fine. I just hope I get an interview to explain why my referee apparently knows nothing about me (i.e. he can barely speak english and so have never been to see him about problems or anything).

And its cool about the SKE! I've contacted various universities and they have all told me that they will decide if I'm successful whether I need to do an SKE (I definatly do). So I guess I'll just apply as normal and put in about SKE in my personal statement!

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thanks guys! I really hope my referee will be alright. I'm not going to ask him what to write or anything, but whatever he wants to put will be fine. I just hope I get an interview to explain why my referee apparently knows nothing about me (i.e. he can barely speak english and so have never been to see him about problems or anything).
    I think its fine to give them some information about you to write, its not writing the reference for them... I basically sent my referee an outline of everything I've done at uni in terms of my work experience, things I've done which relate to teaching and the societies I'm in plus the responsibilities I have there etc. Then I also wrote about other things I've done in life which will be relevant etc - such as my year abroad. As otherwise I literally have no idea what they would have written given they've actually never met me and have only ever recieved one email from me - it isn't exactly enough for them to write 47 lines about my suitability to teach!

In your interview they won't ask you anything about your referee and if you get to that point they won't actually care as they'll be making their own minds up about you - you're asked to discuss why teaching and things on your PS etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.