Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm about to start running and I'm looking for a few tips from the more experienced runners. I'm using this guide (scroll down) over a nine-week period, but I'm concerned over what I should do after the plan has reached its maximum? Should I maintain the final week's regime?

Secondly, in terms of diet I'm 5' 10"/11" and 9.5 stone. I need to gain about a stone to reach a healthy weight, but even after looking at guides that were posted to me a while back it's a little bit confusing. If someone could help me with this, that would be great.

Thanks!

Jon.

ReputationRep:
    First finish the 9 week plan thing, then see where you are then. Don't go planning too far ahead.

Most obvious thing is eating more. Protein and carbohydrates should be high up.

What is your typical diet like at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with this, I intend to move up my walking to running at some point (currently can cover about 7-10miles walking at a good pace) Unlike you I dont need to gain weight, (about ooOOooo 6 stone above my recommended weight) So my main advice for weight gain would be Sit and eat cake while watching Jeremy Kyle.... Probably not the advice you're after :lol:

What I would say is dont stress hugely over the weight/height BMI guides, they're ideal for the Average build, i.e. if you're naturally a skinny person you wont fit on them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    First finish the 9 week plan thing, then see where you are then. Don't go planning too far ahead.

Most obvious thing is eating more. Protein and carbohydrates should be high up.

What is your typical diet like at the moment?
    That's what my Dad said, who's a former runner.

At the moment my typical diet is something like this:

Breakfast: one scrambled egg on toast (weekdays); bacon sandwiches (weekends).
    Break: grapes and chocolate bar.
    Lunch: typical meal - anything from Sunday Roast to Lasagne with desert (flapjack to chocolate cake).
    Dinner: er, anything. Tonight I had a curry.
    Supper (if I do have it): toast or cereal.

ReputationRep:
    You need to gain weight and you're just having 1 egg and some toast for breakfast?

If I'm having eggs/toast I usually have 3 or 4 + some fruit, if anything I'm losing weight (I don't have the world's most awesomely fast metabolism either). =p

ReputationRep:
    After you've finished the program you could try to increase your distance, or decrease time taken to run your 3 miles. As a general rule you shouldn't increase distance/ speed/ intensity by more than 10% per week because this increases the chances of injury (stress injuries are not fun!)

When you become more advanced you can incorporate hillwork, HIIT, and longer slower paced runs into your routine. If possible try to vary the terrain, and avoid doing all your running on concrete because of the high impact.

To complement your running cross training is highly recommended, so swimming, cycling, cross-trainer etc. Basically anything cardiovascular that is low impact.
    Also strength training to improve muscular strength.

I found these quite helpful:
    http://www.ameliaburton.com.au/wp-co...r-Runners2.pdf
    http://www.ameliaburton.com.au/wp-co...e-Program2.pdf

Your 9 week programme should be used as a guide, so don't worry if you take longer or have to repeat a week if you have difficulty. It is better to take things slowly, rather than rushing and causing injury.
    But most importantly enjoy running!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.