Turn on thread page Beta

age gaps- what is and isnt appropiate? watch

Announcements

No I dont expect my life experiences to be near hers at all. Corny as it may sound, it was "love at first sight" and I dont think she intentionally sought me out as it were because I was younger than her. The last person she was with was around her age, so I am wary of me being some kind of a novelty, but again I dont think thats the case. I expect that I will move in with her within the year, and will try to play it by ear. Im still at uni, but Im not really your average student.

ReputationRep:
    My mother was nineteen when she met my father, who was thirty-nine. They're still married today, many decades and one child later.

I appear to be following in her footsteps, if not quite so extreme. My partner is ~11 years older than me. Neither of us knew our ages for a while, so I've always believed it to be somewhat obsolete. We're together because we like each other, not because of when we were born.

Of course it depends on the person. Some people are very immature at eighteen, while others not so. Men, also, tend to mature at a different rate to women (if they mature at all) which may also change things (in some cases).

ReputationRep:
    good question... but im more interested in - if girls would go out with guys like a year or two younger than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeyiie)
    good question... but im more interested in - if girls would go out with guys like a year or two younger than them.
    god no

Its more unlikely that a woman would go out with a younger man, as they emotionally mature at a much slower rate than women. By that logic, a lesbian relationship with a slight age gap would be more likely to work than any other combo, as women are (for the most part) fully emotionally mature at the age of 20.

ReputationRep:
    I always go for much older men too (and I'm talking 30s, 40s), I am 21.

I think you have to make sure you are happy with the situation... does he genuinly like you, or does he just want young arm candy? (obviously, if you are happy with either way, then there is no problem).

If you are sure this is a genuine relationship, that you are not just using each other, then your parents should not have a problem with it...and if he is a nice guy, they will see this when they meet him.

ReputationRep:
    My flatmate is 19 and with a guy who won't tell her how old he is, probably at least 40. I don't really approve, but he is a nice guy and she's happy, so why not? If you don't mind about the age gap then you should go for it and not worry what others think

ReputationRep:
    I've been with someone 25.5 years older than me. It had to be kept a secret from my family but your age gap is fine.

ReputationRep:
    It's not even a joke, it's true. People are too afraid to say the truth. What you said was 100% correct.

She was 10!!!! when he was 20!!!

Disgusting

ReputationRep:
    these thrads always turn out the exact same responses.
    some people say the maturities diffferent, and other people defend it by saying they are/know some with a bigger age gap

the the 'men are immature' line gets repeated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeyiie)
    My boyfriend is 3 years younger than me. I'm 22, and we've been together nearly 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt date a guy significantly younger than me...

ReputationRep:
    age differences seem worse to most people, when one of you is under 25...

I love age gaps, only concern is that then, when you are 40 this person is then much older!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.