Turn on thread page Beta

taking a year off before uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    if i finish year 13 and then apply to university the following year will i be at a disadvantage to those who apply straight from sixth form/college? as in will they think, "why's she taken a year out from educatoin.." kind of thing? i'm not planning to do anything productive really lol, kind of just float about having fun, maybe get a part time job so obviously i can't do deferred entry as i can't write on my application that this is what i wanna do.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people take year outs, you wont be alone.

ReputationRep:
    I've taken a year out and have just been working. I applied for September and got in. The interviewer said that they like it when people do as it means they are more sure they want to do it and they aren't just applying because everyone else at college is
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Lots of people take a year out, but you might want to think about mentioning it when you come to writing your personal statement because although it's quite common to take a year out, universities may still wonder why, purely out of interest.

ReputationRep:
    At my Uni, there are probably as many people who took a year out as didn't. People take time out from education for all sorts of reasons. As you're not planning to do anything productive, a gap year won't give you any advantage, but it certainly won't count against you.

ReputationRep:
    im on a gap year atm and u can defer your entry, just write to the unis that are ur firm and insurance choice, they shud be fine with it, at least that was in my case. also, it may mean u can do nxt years course with this years grades as entry requirements may change

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that 'floating about' for a year is going to be that fun? Remember that most of your friends will probably be moving away.

You'll be bored to tears after a month.

ReputationRep:
    im taking a year out and goin to do a ski season hopefully if i can secure a job in a resort, there must be something you wanna do during a year out

ReputationRep:
    I took a totally unplanned year out. It's fine. I got four offers. Just make sure you do something productive with your gap year to impress.
    Oh and warning: you WILL get out of practice. Its a pain.

But don't worry about taking a year off if thats what you want to do. I feel much more prepared from the experience, other than the academic aspect...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Are you sure that 'floating about' for a year is going to be that fun? Remember that most of your friends will probably be moving away.

You'll be bored to tears after a month.
    You really will. I'm on a gap year and I've been working full time since September, only just finished last Thursday as I'm off travelling next week. Working was a lot of fun as I met loooads of new people (including my current boyfriend ). I've been at home for a week and I'm already bored. :/ In other words, you'll need a plan!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.