Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My hard slavery, sleepless nights and general moodiness has not paid off. UCAS Track tells me that Manchester uni has not accepted me :sigh:

I just feel that I cannot win. I worked so hard...I NEVER used to and it's all for nothing!! Okay I'm at uni already on the Foundation Year in the view to do Human Biology and Biochemistry....but I wanted to do Anatomy ffs!

Anyway can I at least get an explaination from the uni as to why they didn't accept me? I really wanted to have an interview to explain things...such as why I failed the first attempt at the Foundation Year. It was a genuine reason I was going to put the reason in my PS but thought it might sound too negative. I shouldn't have put on the UCAS form that I had done a Foundation Year already, but I didn't want to lie!!

I actualy quit smoking about 2 hours ago....what I perfect excuse to start again.

Is there any way of getting them to accept me? Like tell them why I failed the first time?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm wrong forum! Should be in the UCAS one.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, mate :console:

If it was a valid reason, why didn't you include it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Aw, mate :console:

If it was a valid reason, why didn't you include it?
    Well I thought I could explain in person at the interview...I assumed everyone had an interview I have just emailed the women that i emailed whilst making the application, so hopefully she will reply with good news. Or is this decision final?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    My hard slavery, sleepless nights and general moodiness has not paid off. UCAS Track tells me that Manchester uni has not accepted me :sigh:

I just feel that I cannot win. I worked so hard...I NEVER used to and it's all for nothing!! Okay I'm at uni already on the Foundation Year in the view to do Human Biology and Biochemistry....but I wanted to do Anatomy ffs!

Anyway can I at least get an explaination from the uni as to why they didn't accept me? I really wanted to have an interview to explain things...such as why I failed the first attempt at the Foundation Year. It was a genuine reason I was going to put the reason in my PS but thought it might sound too negative. I shouldn't have put on the UCAS form that I had done a Foundation Year already, but I didn't want to lie!!

I actualy quit smoking about 2 hours ago....what I perfect excuse to start again.

Is there any way of getting them to accept me? Like tell them why I failed the first time?
    What were your grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)
    What were your grades?
    Eh hard to say, an Access Course and a failed Foundation Year. The women I was emailing me said if I can get 70% overall for this year then it's all good.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    They should say why they have rejected you, but they may question why you didn't explain your circumstances before. There is a chance they will agree to look at your application again, but they have no obligation to.

ReputationRep:
    Eh hard to say, an Access Course and a failed Foundation Year. The women I was emailing me said if I can get 70% overall for this year then it's all good.
    I'm on an access course at the moment. What are your hoping for, for your modules? 70% of what can I ask as well?

I'm led to believe you need a minimum of 60 credits to at least pass the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)
    I'm on an access course at the moment. What are your hoping for, for your modules? 70% of what can I ask as well?

I'm led to believe you need a minimum of 60 credits to at least pass the course.
    I've already finished the access course about 2 years ago. I wasn't hoping for anything much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    They should say why they have rejected you, but they may question why you didn't explain your circumstances before. There is a chance they will agree to look at your application again, but they have no obligation to.
    Well I assumed I would be interviewed...stupid I know :sigh:
    Well at least there is a glimmer of slight hope :yes:

ReputationRep:

You can ask for feedback as to why you got rejected if you email the university. In hindsight details of the circumstances should probably have gone in your reference. You could try emailing them with an explanation now, but don't get your hopes up too much as unfortunately it can take quite a bit to make them change their mind (indeed they may point blank refuse to overturn decisions once made).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    You can ask for feedback as to why you got rejected if you email the university. In hindsight details of the circumstances should probably have gone in your reference. You could try emailing them with an explanation now, but don't get your hopes up too much as unfortunately it can take quite a bit to make them change their mind (indeed they may point blank refuse to overturn decisions once made).
    Yeah that's if they ever got my reference. My tutor never sent it to me, she said to write in the box to contact her. She's done it before so I went along with it. They can't reject for that can they?

Nah my hope are well and truely dashed....no chance of that coming back now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's if they ever got my reference. My tutor never sent it to me, she said to write in the box to contact her. She's done it before so I went along with it. They can't reject for that can they?

Nah my hope are well and truely dashed....no chance of that coming back now.
    Well, the universities don't tend to like it when they have to chase references, but they would probably have contacted you if there was a problem with it.

Do you have any other offers/choices left? Remember you still have UCAS Extra etc. open to you if you need them.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the universities don't tend to like it when they have to chase references, but they would probably have contacted you if there was a problem with it.

Do you have any other offers/choices left? Remember you still have UCAS Extra etc. open to you if you need them.
    Yeah people here told me that about the ref...but my tutor just wouldn't budge.

Yeah I applied to Liverpool...even though they don't accept Foundation Year...I was clutching at straws with that one. Also Staffordshire as you can do human biology on it's own.

What's UCAS Extra?...I'll go find out, can't remeber now :o:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah people here told me that about the ref...but my tutor just wouldn't budge.

Yeah I applied to Liverpool...even though they don't accept Foundation Year...I was clutching at straws with that one. Also Staffordshire as you can do human biology on it's own.

What's UCAS Extra?...I'll go find out, can't remeber now :o:
    If you receive all rejections or choose to withdraw or decline all your places then you have the option to go into Extra which starts at the end of February. UCAS releases a list of courses that are still not filled and you are able to apply to them one by one until you get accepted by one and wish to take it up.

ReputationRep:
    If you receive all rejections or choose to withdraw or decline all your places then you have the option to go into Extra which starts at the end of February. UCAS releases a list of courses that are still not filled and you are able to apply to them one by one until you get accepted by one and wish to take it up.
    It says on UCAS about 5 choices...I only made 3. Am I still eligible?

ReputationRep:
    It says on UCAS about 5 choices...I only made 3. Am I still eligible?
    Aha, well in this case then you can just make two more applications! There should be an option to "add a choice" on your UCAS apply. However, the Extra listings will give you a good idea of what is still available so you might want to wait until they come out. If/when you use those choices then you can go through Extra. It doesn't make any real difference to you, but the intention of extra is as a safety net for those who get all rejections and have used all 5 choices (or who change their mind).

ReputationRep:
    Aha, well in this case then you can just make two more applications! There should be an option to "add a choice" on your UCAS apply. However, the Extra listings will give you a good idea of what is still available so you might want to wait until they come out. If/when you use those choices then you can go through Extra. It doesn't make any real difference to you, but the intention of extra is as a safety net for those who get all rejections and have used all 5 choices (or who change their mind).
    Ahh, well it's a good idea :yes: I'll have to see what happens now. Thanks a lot for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.