The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just because you're wealthy it doesn't mean your family get on, it doesn't mean you have good friends, it doesn't mean you get good grades or you like your degree or even like yourself.

Money might make it easier to buy things to make you happier, but other things in a persons life have a far greater impact on their happiness.
Anonymous
It really does my head in. It may be jealousy or the fact that I come from an unpriveledged background but here goes. In Manchester there is a lot of students (mainly from the south) who have nice cars, a seemingly endless supply of money from thier parents etc. (this is not an assumption because I ahve met said students). These students almost always have something to moan about - 'Oh im so skint' or 'Oh im so depressed' etc. What I want to know is...are these people not grateful for thier lives? Am I the only one here that gets annoyed by this?

money =/= happiness
Reply 22
Because money doesn't equal happiness.
Yeah but they have no life experience, someday they'll find out what the real world is like, lots of other meaningless cliches...
If having "having life experience" and "experiencing the real world" are euphemisms for being poor and having to eat out of wheelie bins or shop at Tesco and Primark or wherever it is poor people shop - then I'm certainly glad not to have done either!
Money is the most important thing in the world when you don't have enough, this is why an underpriviliged person may not understand a priviliged person's whinings about not being able to buy happiness.
Reply 26
Anonymous
It really does my head in. It may be jealousy or the fact that I come from an unpriveledged background but here goes. In Manchester there is a lot of students (mainly from the south) who have nice cars, a seemingly endless supply of money from thier parents etc. (this is not an assumption because I ahve met said students). These students almost always have something to moan about - 'Oh im so skint' or 'Oh im so depressed' etc. What I want to know is...are these people not grateful for thier lives? Am I the only one here that gets annoyed by this?

It's because the priveliged lifestyle is normal to them, just as your lifestyle is normal to you.
Reply 27
Cesare Borgia
an underpriviliged person

Whats an underprivileged person? Normal/average?
Quady
Whats an underprivileged person? Normal/average?

A matter of perspective, it's relative.
Reply 29
Please don't try and become a psychologist if you judge depression levels by financial stability.

They have every right to moan about their lives, if you don't like it then talk to someone else/invest in an ipod (& headphones).

Alternatively, try to educate them (through intellectual debate) about how privaleged you think they are and try to understand why they're complaining.
Reply 30
Cesare Borgia
A matter of perspective, it's relative.

Relative to what, privileged is relative to the norm, surely underprivileged is relative to the privileged? ie the norm.
in my experience, privileged people dont actually take it for granted. Well, some do, but most dont. at least in the circles I know.

Once people grow up a bit they stop caring about stuff like that. I have friends who went to eton, I have friends who're right at the very bottom of the socio-economic ladder. It just doesn't matter.

Also, bit of a sidenote that bugs me:

what is wrong with parents helping out their kids with uni? seriously? Parent's rarely pay the full lot for their kids (almost all of my friends have the same system as me, i.e. parents paying for tuition fees, I pay maintenance, or vice versa). It means that they dont spend all their time worrying about money, they get on with stuff, they can work better and have more life experiences, and not needing a job term-time leaves more time for all this.
You can be unhappy and discontent no matter what your social class... whereas a poor person might worry more about making ends meet, someone in the upper levels of society may worry just as much about what is expected of them, and their future. Being "rich" does not solve all your problems.
Reply 33
SouthernFreerider
in my experience, privileged people dont actually take it for granted. Well, some do, but most dont. at least in the circles I know.

Once people grow up a bit they stop caring about stuff like that. I have friends who went to eton, I have friends who're right at the very bottom of the socio-economic ladder. It just doesn't matter.

Also, bit of a sidenote that bugs me:

what is wrong with parents helping out their kids with uni? seriously? Parent's rarely pay the full lot for their kids (almost all of my friends have the same system as me, i.e. parents paying for tuition fees, I pay maintenance, or vice versa). It means that they dont spend all their time worrying about money, they get on with stuff, they can work better and have more life experiences, and not needing a job term-time leaves more time for all this.

Do people's parents actually pay their tuition fees??? I thought most people had a loan for that.
Reply 34
Its relative as most have stated, I guarantee many people living in africa on $1 a day are happier than many of these 'privileged' people.

Living a certain lifestyle and maintaining it (Upper Class or whatever), is alot more stressful than living a more basic existence (assuming you aren't living in poverty). Anyone at all, as they earn more money...they manage to spend it all yet it rarely improves their overall happiness.

Money is one of the least important things in life, until you don't have enough to live. It adds little, but removing any of it causes huge amounts of stress. A billionaire losing 950m or something, yet having 50m left...To us him committing suicide or becoming highly depressed doesn't seem right to us, but it makes perfect sense in reality. If someone from a middle class background, goes on to become a millionaire in a high paid but stressful job...and they respond truthfully to the question 'So are you any happier now, than you were x years ago earning just 50k a year?'...Its almost always going to be not really, but I couldn't live how I used too.

To the OP who gets max grant and loan, think yourself lucky. I get minimum loan and my parents pay for absolutely nothing. People in my situation, which is very common...are the worst off at uni by far. I have to work 6hrs a week to pay the extra for accomodation, even then I have absolutely no money to spend so have to work 16hrs and thats just to get by...not for a bit of extra money or wtv which is the reason most work at uni.

I am however very happy, and value my life. Something you should do, instead of complaining about others disatisfaction despite perceiving them to be in better circumstances. Its something the lower class have over the well off, we need much less to be just as happy...despite many peoples preconception.

PS. it might sound like I am from a well off background, couldn't be further from the truth. My parents have just progressed in their careers to a high level not long before I went to uni, and besides the cap for getting extra loan/grant is very low. So take my post from the perspective of me living a working class life.
Anonymous

No wonder if the unpriveledged can't spell...:woo::eek3::yep:
Jelkin
Do people's parents actually pay their tuition fees??? I thought most people had a loan for that.

well the parent's pay off the loan at the end of the course, since its interest free
Mr Sparkles
If having "having life experience" and "experiencing the real world" are euphemisms for being poor and having to eat out of wheelie bins or shop at Tesco and Primark or wherever it is poor people shop - then I'm certainly glad not to have done either!

Oh **** off you prick.
Reply 38
Maybe because money isn't everything?
Jelkin

Some do, some don't. :h:

My parents are paying my tuition, so I only get the maintenance loan. They said that they planned for being able to provide for me if I ended up wanting to go to university, and want me to start off in life with as little debt as is necessary, with them helping as much as possible. I don't take this for granted and am incredibly grateful to them, so I don't think that wealthy parents always equals spoilt children.

OP, I'd probably fall into your 'privileged' category, although I'm not like you've described. My parents help out and give me a certain amount of money a month as I pay high london rent with my maintenance loan and so really don't have much left! I have a good phone, a laptop, etc, but that doesn't mean I have no life experience or no grasp of the real world. Although there may be some people like you've described, it's not fair to blanket statement everyone :smile:

Also, a side note: I have NEVER seen so many wrong spellings of 'privileged' in my life... it hurts me! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending