Turn on thread page Beta

Why do priveledged students moan about thier lives? watch

ReputationRep:
    Moaning and drinking are the twin rituals by which students communicate, socialize and bond.

Whinging is our monkey-grooming. If we didn't have it student society would collapse. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It really does my head in. It may be jealousy or the fact that I come from an unpriveledged background but here goes. In Manchester there is a lot of students (mainly from the south) who have nice cars, a seemingly endless supply of money from thier parents etc. (this is not an assumption because I ahve met said students). These students almost always have something to moan about - 'Oh im so skint' or 'Oh im so depressed' etc. What I want to know is...are these people not grateful for thier lives? Am I the only one here that gets annoyed by this?
    Everything is relative. Can't really blame someone for not having perspective when they have never been in a position from which they could gain said perspective.

I'm apparently privileged. I am white, middle class and have relatively affluent parents. I own horses and am involved with a very expensive hobby. I am attending an excellent university, doing a very well regard course and have a CV stuffed full of well regarded extra-curriculars. I have a part-time job and can afford to eat well and buy myself nice things.

I shouldn't have the right to moan, yeah?

Doesn't stop me being depressed, doesn't stop me worrying about the future, doesn't stop me having relationship woes and doesn't stop me falling out with friends. Doesn't stop me wishing I had enough money that I didn't need a loan and doesn't stop me wishing I could afford to spend £100+ on Valentine's Day without feeling guilty.

People feel the way they feel and should at least be able to express that to those close to them.

The real problem is when people can't see that they have great things in their lives and can't see that they are not the most unfortunate person to have ever lived.

I can see all the good things so I keep my woes to pillow talk with my boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    FFS, the word's privileged, guys!

ReputationRep:
    life can be much harder for people than it seems..
    So its very easy to assume these people are being ungrateful, but their lives are probably not as simple as you may think..
    And they're unlikely to tell people about the genuine hardships they could be facing..
    But yes, I guess it is a matter of relative misery..

ReputationRep:
    It's like what the Beatles said- Money Can't Buy Me Love.

There's a difference between being rich and being happy, although (sadly) for some people one seems to automatically go with the other.

ReputationRep:
    I would class myself as privileged - I went to a fee paying school, I have my own cars, I can afford to go on holiday a few times a year, my parents live in a big house etc.

HOWEVER, this does not mean I'm as happy as some far less privileged people I know. Of course I'm grateful for what I have, but quite frankly I feel pretty bloody miserable and lonely (I have plenty of friends, it has nothing to do with this, it's just that life in London and at uni just isn't me at all) a lot of the time at the moment while I'm at uni. Just because someone has a good background doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with their lives. Money really does not mean happiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    Oh **** off you prick.
    Now, now - no need to be rude!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.