Estate agent made a mistake with rent, on student house Watch

jonneyboimc
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,
Basicaly we got our student house today and in the documets they gave us to sign it says basicaly the rent is £9570, for the year and it should have been £9900.. So there is quite a saving there ... The mistake happend because we are renting for 10months insted of 12 and in calculating the first quaters rent he basicaly couldn't do the math..
Any ways from what i have learnt in business law once we sign they cant increase the amount even if it is a mistake.. Is this true?
Last edited by jonneyboimc; 8 years ago
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
as long as you don't snatch at a bargain, so to speak, (i.e. you accepted their offer in the contractual document knowing it is below market value/what you should pay), it might be ok. but by the sounds of it you received the contractual document and were aware of the lower than expected figure before signing.

worth checking though whether the amount unaccounted for forms part of the deposit or something similar?
Rofl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There might be an implied obligation for you to pay the original rent price if the landlord stipulated orally during the negotiations.
Over_The_Odds
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just pay the rent they ask for and forget about it. They will probably not check. If they ask for more in the end, you will probably have to pay for it.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (882)
90.74%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (90)
9.26%

Watched Threads