Turn on thread page Beta

Student finance for second degree(but first wasn't a degree) watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently about to finish my first course at uni which was a HND course not a degree and now im about to go to Glasgow to do economics but my question is would i get grant and loan for my 2nd course(first degree) at university ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tolgahan09)
    I am currently about to finish my first course at uni which was a HND course not a degree and now im about to go to Glasgow to do economics but my question is would i get grant and loan for my 2nd course(first degree) at university ?
    If you haven't already completed the first year of a degree then you will be entitled to apply for funding from SAAS (Student Awards Agency For Scotland). A HND is not a degree, but a Diploma. Which is a world away from a fully fledged degree. Therefore it isn't a 'second' degree you will be taking. It's your first. So yes, you can get your Course fees and loan paid.

ReputationRep:
    You can get a student loan for your degree, yes.

But with regards to fees, just to clarify, as an HND holder -

-If you enter first year of the degree, your fees WILL not be paid for first year, but will be paid for years 2,3 and 4.

- If you enter second year of the degree, your fees will be paid throughout.

This is because an HND is equivalent level to first year of uni and SAAS will not pay fees for an equivalent year of study. But usually HND holders go straight to second year anyway, unless sometimes it's a completely new subject area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    If you haven't already completed the first year of a degree then you will be entitled to apply for funding from SAAS (Student Awards Agency For Scotland). A HND is not a degree, but a Diploma. Which is a world away from a fully fledged degree. Therefore it isn't a 'second' degree you will be taking. It's your first. So yes, you can get your Course fees and loan paid.
    sorry i forgot to say im an english student not scottish :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tolgahan09)
    sorry i forgot to say im an english student not scottish :s

Same rules apply. You still havent started a degree. SO you will get the funding ;P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    Same rules apply. You still havent started a degree. SO you will get the funding ;P
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    watch_the_birdie was right. You won't get tuition fees until year 2 of a degree course as you have already been funded for 2 years of an HND which means you should enter directly into year 2 of a degree level course. If you don't for whatever reason, then you will have to pay your own fees in 1st year of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Is it different if you're doing a different degree to the HND?

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.