Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    After an Interview at Sheffield, I recieved a letter today saying I wasn't strong enough for a place due to the excptionally strong interviews and limited places this year etc etc, but, that I was strong enough to go on to a reserve list. The letter states:

"Should you reachieve your predicted grades and not be committed elsewhere you should contact us in August when we may be in a position to reconsider our decision"

Does this happen often? And what are the chances of getting a place in August if I do get my predicted grades?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver1816)
    After an Interview at Sheffield, I recieved a letter today saying I wasn't strong enough for a place due to the excptionally strong interviews and limited places this year etc etc, but, that I was strong enough to go on to a reserve list. The letter states:

"Should you reachieve your predicted grades and not be committed elsewhere you should contact us in August when we may be in a position to reconsider our decision"

Does this happen often? And what are the chances of getting a place in August if I do get my predicted grades?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I've heard of it happening occasionally. Basically it suggests that you were very close to getting an offer and just missed out. The university is probably trying to still try to retain you in some form without giving you an offer. Whether they can offer you a place is very much dependent on who fails to meet their offer, if noone does then they won't be able to offer you a place. It's not something that you can depend on, so choose your firm and insurance from your other choices (assuming you have/get some) as if this was a rejection but bear it in mind if things don't go to plan in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    I've heard of it happening occasionally. Basically it suggests that you were very close to getting an offer and just missed out. The university is probably trying to still try to retain you in some form without giving you an offer. Whether they can offer you a place is very much dependent on who fails to meet their offer, if noone does then they won't be able to offer you a place. It's not something that you can depend on, so choose your firm and insurance from your other choices (assuming you have/get some) as if this was a rejection but bear it in mind if things don't go to plan in the summer.
    Thanks for the help, I've got Southampton to hear from yet, but that is all. So I'll wait and see what happens there.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.