Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't have joined the army if they didn't want to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Stfu you tossing weasel.

ReputationRep:
    Mawkish sentimentality of the highest order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    Stfu you tossing weasel.
    If you disagree, explain why.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed also.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between wanting to die, and understanding there is a risk of death.

I doubt they joined the army because they want to die... you make it sound like they're joining just to commit suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrChem)
    There's a difference between wanting to die, and understanding there is a risk of death.

I doubt they joined the army because they want to die... you make it sound like they're joining just to commit suicide.
    No, he said they shouldn't join if they didn't want to die. So if they wanted to stay alive, and didn't care about the risk of death, they shouldn't have joined the army in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad when they are killed. But they're aware that they are going into extremely dangerous war terriroties. Not to mention a lot of the troops that form the rank and file are glorified thugs that commit atrocities in the countries they are 'protecting.' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well thank god there are people in this country braver than you lot!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really call murder brave, however my sympathies still go out.

ReputationRep:
    This guy speaks sense. When someone signs up for the army they know exactly what theyare getting themselves into. The possibility of death is part of their job so all this fanfare over a dead soldier is just over the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xands)
    Too true. The sad thing about TSR is that is full of bleed your heart out liberals who are the friends of terrorists and murderers but ne'er the brave.

ReputationRep:
    In before this turns into troop bashing and so forth............oh wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xands)
    You do realise the hundreds of people that blunder into the army because of the recession, or because they have no qualifications to get them anywhere else in life? That's not brave, it's economical logic born out of desperation.

Selling your life because you are devoid of any other opportunities and skills.

ReputationRep:
    It sickens me these people are given the title of heros on western media and named, whilst they are butchering Iraqi citizens. Do a favour and get out of their land.

ReputationRep:
    There are approximately 190,000 people in the British forces. 250 people have died in 8-9 years in Afghanistan. That is a 1 in 760 chance of dieing. The chances of a young male being murdered in the UK has only slightly better odds. They are taking a minimal risk for a rather large pay increase, with good prospects and a good career. They are hardly hard done by. It's a difficult job, but seriously, why has our society gone so soft?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    This guy speaks sense. When someone signs up for the army they know exactly what theyare getting themselves into. The possibility of death is part of their job so all this fanfare over a dead soldier is just over the top.
    Actually, sadly, speaking from experience, this isn't always the case. My brother joined the army as a way to avoid unemployment. Like many 17 year old boys, he thinks that he is immortal and the idea of death or getting his arms and legs blown off doesn't even cross his mind. I don't agree with the war, but I do have an awful lot of respect for anyone who would put their life before anyone else's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ernesto)
    You do realise the hundreds of people that blunder into the army because of the recession, or because they have no qualifications to get them anywhere else in life? That's not brave, it's economical logic born out of desperation.

Selling your life because you are devoid of any other opportunities and skills.
    Yes. Bonnet De Douche!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.