Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    They shouldn't have joined the army if they didn't want to die.
    scumbag

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    A ******** more than you do, or ever will do, in your life, cretin.
    Good, solid argument there

(Original post by Bobifier)
    I said what do they do, not what did they do 60 years ago. Those were different men in different circumstances.
    They do what there told by the Government.

And if it came down to it they would do the same as 60 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donks169)
    No, he said they shouldn't join if they didn't want to die. So if they wanted to stay alive, and didn't care about the risk of death, they shouldn't have joined the army in the first place.
    If you disagree, explain why.
    That logic is crap.

I ride a motorbike, which has high risk of death or injury. Accepting that risk does not mean I "want to die" it means the risk of injury or death is weighted up against the joy of riding, and I chose to get back in the saddle. I care about staying alive, but still chose to ride.... How do you explain that?

Do you drive? If you cared about staying alive then you wouldnt go near the roads, they are the largest cause of deaths for 17-24 year olds. 3000 people die every year on our roads, thats about 9 per day, compared to 253 in Afghanistan over a period of nearly 9 years, which is 0.077 people per day. So you have a 1166.4% greater chance of dieing on the roads.

People dont sign up to die, they sign up because the benefits of a stable job, good career prospects, or whatever, outweigh the risk of death. It would be naive to suggest that they dont know the risk of death, but that doesnt imply they want to die.

(Original post by Elipsis)
    x
    648 people were murdered last year, how on earth is that 1 in 100?! 60,000,000 people live in this island, I make that (roughly) 1 in 100,000....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Too true. The sad thing about TSR is that is full of bleed your heart out liberals who are the friends of terrorists and murderers but ne'er the brave.
    And Muslims who only care about Iraq/Afghanistan because it happens to be inhabited by a majority Muslim population...

ReputationRep:
    They do everything that nobody else wants to do or don't think they get paid enough to do: like when the Fire Services abandoned their duty because they decided they wanted more money (more than the squaddies who covered for them), Who do you think had to deal with the moving and disposal of the mountains of dead livestock during the foot and mouth crisis? Who goes up moutains in blizzards in the middle of the night to rescue stranded walkers? Who rescues ailing families from their flooded homes?

That's right. Nobody heroic.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so, what do our forces do that is so heroic for us?
    Perhaps but as much as us but they are trying to free the Afgan people

ReputationRep:
    Good, solid argument there
    Why thank you :top2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xands)
    Well thank god there are people in this country braver than you lot!
    agreed

its ******* disgusting the level of disrespect our military gets from some people on this forum, every time a thread about the military is made you can count on it being ruined by a bunch of pussy liberal hippies who would never have the balls to do what those men and women do on the frontline.

******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digistar_100)
    It sickens me these people are given the title of heros on western media and named, whilst they are butchering Iraqi citizens. Do a favour and get out of their land.

Clever boy .........

ReputationRep:
    Not everybody can sit at home in comfort and safety. If people did not volunteer to serve their country, where would this country be? They might not be heroes, but they do not deserve the disrespect some of you morons give them. I would like to see you guys serve a few years and then see what your feelings on the matter are.

ReputationRep:
    My dear friend is in the Marines, US, before meeting him I always saw any military branch as a brainless war machine without thought or direction other than their orders.
    I've since gotten to know a few of the people behind the rifles.

I wish him well in Afghanistan everyday. He doesn't want to die, but he does want to help. And I will support him in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    648 people were murdered last year, how on earth is that 1 in 100?! 60,000,000 people live in this island, I make that (roughly) 1 in 100,000....
    It is based on odds of being murdered in your life time, not per year. Just like the murder rate in the military is calculated across the entire time you serve; whether you spend half of it in a hut in Inverness or a tent in Afghanistan. I was, admittedly, basing my figures around the only stats I could find, which was American ones, calculating the odds to be 1 in 133. http://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/06/us...tudy-says.html

The odds, in the UK, of becoming a victim of one serious crime or another is about 1 in 20.

ReputationRep:
    Don't cross the road unless you want to get run over.

(Original post by Jeremy_Whiskers)
    I don't really call murder brave, however my sympathies still go out.
    It's not really murder though, and yes what they do is brave.

(Original post by Ernesto)
    You do realise the hundreds of people that blunder into the army because of the recession, or because they have no qualifications to get them anywhere else in life? That's not brave, it's economical logic born out of desperation.

Selling your life because you are devoid of any other opportunities and skills.

Yes, and a great deal more join because although they are qualified they can't get work elsewhere at the moment, or want to try something different.

It says a lot about the armed forces when some people join with little and leave with a lot.

(Original post by digistar_100)
    It sickens me these people are given the title of heros on western media and named, whilst they are butchering Iraqi citizens. Do a favour and get out of their land.
    The armed forces if very professional, most times they try to avoid civilian deaths at all costs and always extend a hand during hearts and minds.

Most times it's not the British forces that are killing the innocent people, it's the insurgents.

Same for Afghanistan.

Okay, so, what do our forces do that is so heroic for us?
    They dedicate themselves to fight for Queen, Country, and to protect the interests of the United Kingdom and all it's subjects. If you have an issue with that then take it up with the people that send them there, (the politicians) not the soldiers themselves.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the people on this forum literally astound me, you give the armed forces so much disrespect while you sit on your back sides at home. If there was a different war scenario where the UK was directly being invaded/under threat lets see how many people on here would continue to bash the army when they would be the ones protecting you while you no doubt cower in your houses in fear.

******* Unbelievable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    This is what I was going to say...
    (Original post by shark67)
    I'm more sad for the innocent civilians who have died. To consider troops as heroes is just retarded.
    Guys, can I just clear a misconception for you.

In 2009 the Taliban killed more than 3 times as many Afghan civilians as the US, British, Afghan Army/Police, German, and the rest of NATO troops PUT TOGETHER!!!

Please read this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8455791.stm

That is who the British/American and NATO forces are fighting!!!!

When the Taliban had control over Afghanistan the number of Afghan civilians was higher every year!!!

Amongst Afghan civilians, there is MAJORITY SUPPORT for the US/British troops being there!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8448930.stm

Civilians do die, tragically, but at least we try to minimize them, unlike the Taliban who show scant regard for civilian life.

In 2009, there were nearly as many foreign troops killed (around 500,) fighting the Taliban, as civilians killed by the ANA/ANP/Dutch/German/Yank/British forces. The Taliban killed over one and a half thousand Afghan civilians in the same period!

Please go and Google some of the Taliban atrocities and executions of Afghan civilians before you attack what the Security Assistance Force is trying to do there.

So when Anjem Choudary is bleating about Muslims being killed in Afghanistan, he should be condemning the Taliban - A group of Islamists who implement exactly the same things as he wants in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    The media presentation of the situation in afghanistan whether it is western or middle-eastern will always be biased and at the end of the day both sides know that bad news is more interesting which equals more viewers/readers which in turn leads to more advertising money. The positives that have been created in afghanistan never make it into the public eye as they are not news worthy. The impact NATO and ISAF forces is having can be easily described by the simple example that the average life expextancy has increased by 15% since 2003. School attendance is 50% higher than Taliban controlled periods and opium production is down by a further 30% (farmers are paid the opium price for none drugs related crops). Having worked with ISAF in country I ask you from whichever perspective you may view the british military to consider that YOU as citizens of this county CHOOSE who represents you and they act on YOUR behalf. The Armed Forces are an extension of the govt. and carry out policy in support of the british govt. that you get to choose and influence.

Those that choose to join the armed forces do so in order to fulfil the majority decision of british public so they are your servants and are proud of the ability to be able to serve the British public.

Have a think about it the choice is yours.

ReputationRep:
    This

When people sign up they know the risk. Its a high risk job and people are going to get killeed.

(Original post by katierattray)
    This

When people sign up they know the risk. Its a high risk job and people are going to get killeed.
    So when you get hit by a car, its ok for no one to give a **** because you took the risk?

ReputationRep:
    It greatly amuses me how certain cretinous individuals seem to be confusing the need for a tribute with the fact that being a soldier accentuates the risk of some causes of death, as if the two can't go together. The vast majority of them probably never asked for thanks, and even if death, I'm fairly sure that a lot of them would be somewhat sceptical of the national coverage that's afforded specifically to them but does it hurt to recognise the lengths the vast majority of them go to? No, it doesn't.

Respect to them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.