Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

GUYS - do you like it when a girl plays hard to get? watch

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I personally dont like it, I've had alot do it and guys begin to wonder if she's even that serious. The old expression of being led up the path or played about with comes to mind alot. Men WILL move on... especially if you do it too long or appear 'busy' or only text a couple of times a day.
    I've had many do it in the past. - Im abit older than most on here, and as you get older you tend to cut out the BS with people alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am asking because I like this guy but I want to keep him on his toes for a bit. I don't want to be too available, or appear too keen. Obviously, once I figure out whether he is someone I like enough to date, I will drop the hard to get act, but right now, I want to keep him excited...and interested.

So guys, do you love or hate girls who play hard to get?

PS I am not making it obviously, it's beautifully subtle.
    No, I like a gelatinous blob that will fall over if poked...:woo::eek3::yep:

ReputationRep:
    I probably wouldn't even notice and just think she's not that interested after all. ):

I've been told that some girls (no names :< ) do like me, but I've not a clue who that might be. Apparently I suck at picking up signals... or so I have been told.

ReputationRep:
    Retarded *****es do this.

ReputationRep:
    No, hate it. Have dated plenty of girls who play hard to get or play mind games, the two girls who became proper girlfriend's were the ones who didn't do this.

ReputationRep:
    No, no guys do

ReputationRep:
    On those occasions, my head detests it. As does my heart, more so even. But another part of my anatomy absolutely demands it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't play games with guys because I don't want them to play games with me. Simples.

(Original post by Hubert Poo)
    On those occasions, my head detests it. As does my heart, more so even. But another part of my anatomy absolutely demands it.
    That's hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    Do mean it though, actually, too. :yep: One of the oddest memories I have was on a roller coaster - on it, I was screaming like mad in absolute terror, when I came off it I was no longer sure whether I hated it or utterly loved it. Either way, there was something in it which I couldn't explain which made me wanted to do it again . . .

Playing hard to get can be cruel and intensely annoying. But, in to be blunt, it can also be a frighteningly lengthy and fabulous extension of foreplay. The right way and it will drive you mad. The wrong way it will drive you mad. But if there's something at the end of it, well, :coma:

"The meaning is in the waiting . . ."

ReputationRep:
    I am asking because I like this guy but I want to keep him on his toes for a bit. I don't want to be too available, or appear too keen. Obviously, once I figure out whether he is someone I like enough to date, I will drop the hard to get act, but right now, I want to keep him excited...and interested.

No. It's gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    You can be really, really keen, but just give the guy space and don't hang on him like a tumour.
    But what qualifies as space?
    My friend likes a guy and is usually the first one to make conversation with him, She's usually posting on his facebook and when he's around her eyes are firmly on him.

I don't like making things to obvious in case I come across as desperate

ReputationRep:
    It is utterly annoying. Playing hard to get often comes across as "I'm not interested in you", which means we will move on. Either that, or she will come across as if she doesn't have enough time for me.

Silly girls, silly games. One day you will learn, but by then, the clever girls will have snagged us, and you'll be crying into your bottle of gin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    But what qualifies as space?
    My friend likes a guy and is usually the first one to make conversation with him, She's usually posting on his facebook and when he's around her eyes are firmly on him.

I don't like making things to obvious in case I come across as desperate
    Basically if they want to just be alone, leave them be - such as talking to all their male mates. Talk to them when you want, but don't harass them. A good way is if you think you may be doing all the talking, just stop and wait for him to pick up the conversation. If it takes a few days, well it's a good way of letting the guy know you don't depend on him, but you are still really keen on him. Eye contact usually is cool though - haven't found a guy that doesn't like it, let alone gets annoyed be it :p:

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying a girl that texts you within half an hour of you texting her will appear more interesting to you than a girl who waits a few hours or even a day? Bearing in mind, both messages are equally as genuine and enthusiastic, only the second girl makes you wait a little longer..
    I know this question's for guys, but I thought I'd just say if a guy I was interested in did this, leave so many hours/ a day in between texts, I'd get the idea that he didn't like me. Or if I knew he was playing hard to get, I'd just lose interest. It's so pointless playing 'hard to get'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Basically if they want to just be alone, leave them be - such as talking to all their male mates. Talk to them when you want, but don't harass them. A good way is if you think you may be doing all the talking, just stop and wait for him to pick up the conversation. If it takes a few days, well it's a good way of letting the guy know you don't depend on him, but you are still really keen on him. Eye contact usually is cool though - haven't found a guy that doesn't like it, let alone gets annoyed be it :p:
    Cheers,
    I could potentially be in a shot with someone

ReputationRep:
    OK I'm a girl but imo it's better to try and stay somewhere in between seeming overly keen to the point where he knows he can mess you around and you'll put up with it, but not try and play mind games because that's a bit sad and he might either think you're not interested, or not be bothered to try and 'chase' you. Basically show him that you're interested, as long as you're not OTT about it. Don't mess around with the feelings of people you like

ReputationRep:

I have never understood the logic behind the "hard to get" theory.
    Basically you're keeping someone you like away from you and that in my opinion sends the wrong message that you're not interested in them. That way the guy thinks that he has no chances with this girl, he cuts his losses and moves on with the hope of finding someone who is more keen on him. I think its a very counterproductive approach to getting a partner. Extremely illogical.

ReputationRep:
    unless you are looking to get married no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    If the guy can get girls easily its the right option, if he is just an average guy only play a little hard to get and if he sucks at getting girls just be easy.

^^I think this is the answer to the thread OP

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.