Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

In short: I'm most likely going through UCAS extra at the end of this month and I am aware that it is best to email the universities beforehand, especially as I will require a new personal statement for Biology after applying for Biomedical Science.

I also need to give really important info about my GCSEs that isn't on my UCAS (see below*) and I would like advice on what is the best way of doing this?

Do I send it all on one structured email? Such as...

1. Introduce myself
    2. Course I want to be considered for and why I changed my mind plus attach new PS and include the additional info on the PS
    3. Ask if I may forward my application through UCAS.

I really appreciate anyone who can take a few minutes to help me out.

*I sent my all my UCAS stuff off in early December, this was my first time doing it and to be honest I had no idea and made a mess of it. I wasn't happy with my chosen subject and didn't even think twice about needing to provide an explanation for why I only had one GCSE on my application ( I left in year 10 due to being ill, had a few hours of tuition a week through a local hospital school but only enough to be taught English and so was only able to sit that exam at foundation and got a C ) My tutor didn't mention it (I'm 21 and on a Access to HE course) and it never crossed my mind how bad it looked.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tilie)
    Hi,

In short: I'm most likely going through UCAS extra at the end of this month and I am aware that it is best to email the universities beforehand, especially as I will require a new personal statement for Biology after applying for Biomedical Science.

I also need to give really important info about my GCSEs that isn't on my UCAS (see below*) and I would like advice on what is the best way of doing this?

Do I send it all on one structured email? Such as...

1. Introduce myself
    2. Course I want to be considered for and why I changed my mind plus attach new PS and include the additional info on the PS
    3. Ask if I may forward my application through UCAS.

I really appreciate anyone who can take a few minutes to help me out.

*I sent my all my UCAS stuff off in early December, this was my first time doing it and to be honest I had no idea and made a mess of it. I wasn't happy with my chosen subject and didn't even think twice about needing to provide an explanation for why I only had one GCSE on my application ( I left in year 10 due to being ill, had a few hours of tuition a week through a local hospital school but only enough to be taught English and so was only able to sit that exam at foundation and got a C ) My tutor didn't mention it (I'm 21 and on a Access to HE course) and it never crossed my mind how bad it looked.*
    Personally, I would probe with a shorter and more casual email first to introduce yourself, give some basic details and enquire about whether they would consider applications at this stage. If you get a positive result then dive in with the details and your PS. You don't want to overload them to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Personally, I would probe with a shorter and more casual email first to introduce yourself, give some basic details and enquire about whether they would consider applications at this stage. If you get a positive result then dive in with the details and your PS. You don't want to overload them to begin with.
    Your fantastic, thanks very much for your help! I shall do that when the time comes and prepare a new PS in the mean time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tilie)
    Your fantastic, thanks very much for your help! I shall do that when the time comes and prepare a new PS in the mean time
    In fact, if you are doing this post Extra opening then I would actually call them up for the initial probe rather than emailing them, since places might disappear reasonably quickly. If you were planning to email before extra opens then you should be ok without needing to phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    In fact, if you are doing this post Extra opening then I would actually call them up for the initial probe rather than emailing them, since places might disappear reasonably quickly. If you were planning to email before extra opens then you should be ok without needing to phone.
    I'd be doing it post extra as I don't want to be annoying by making assumptions of what will be in the list when it opens. I do have an idea of the uni's I'm hoping for though and still have a bit of enquiring to do about general admissions much before extra begins so maybe it will progress from there. Thanks again!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.