Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so in September I will be starting uni and I plan to be renting with my boyfriend. Although its not the most ideal situation, I would prefer to be buying but couldn't afford it while studying. As well as this I couldn't really live in halls as I'll be a bit older than everyone else and it's not really what i'm looking for.
    So anyways what I want to know is on a £300-£400 a month flat/house how much will bills be? Also my boyfriend works full time and makes an alright wage and I will be getting my student loan as well as nhs bursary will I have to base my student finance on my parents income or my own + boyfriends? Is it better to go through a letting agent or privately? Any other useful points would be really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I (we're very wasteful with utilities) pay approximately £60 each per month on gas, water and electric together in a two bed apartment. It's likely you'll not need quite as much if you're sensible, though budget for that to start, and you'll have money left over for emergencies!
    Also consider broadband and phone line costs (£10 a month or so) and that your boyfriend, as a non-student, will have to pay council tax (though he'll get a 25% discount since he's the only one having to pay it), so budget £60 or so for that, too. Oh, and £15 for your TV license.

Your student finance will be based on your parents' financial situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    My boyfriend and I (we're very wasteful with utilities) pay approximately £60 each per month on gas, water and electric together in a two bed apartment. It's likely you'll not need quite as much if you're sensible, though budget for that to start, and you'll have money left over for emergencies!
    Also consider broadband and phone line costs (£10 a month or so) and that your boyfriend, as a non-student, will have to pay council tax (though he'll get a 25% discount since he's the only one having to pay it), so budget £60 or so for that, too. Oh, and £15 for your TV license.

Your student finance will be based on your parents' financial situation.
    Yeah, I don't think we will need lots for gas and things because we will both be out all day but I would rather over budget so we can save than be worrying about money.
    The council tax things good, I thought that we would be paying for the both of us so that works out a little better. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The amount your bills will be is not based on the cost of your rent. It doesn't work like that...

It will depend on:

-What kind of heating you have (electric is significantly more expensive than gas)
    -What electricity company and tariff you're on
    -How frugal you are with electricity

There's not much point in us guessing, 'cause it will most likely be totally wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling you don't get a loan if you get an NHS bursary? Or has it changed since my sister applied? Just take that into account just incase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    The amount your bills will be is not based on the cost of your rent. It doesn't work like that...

It will depend on:

-What kind of heating you have (electric is significantly more expensive than gas)
    -What electricity company and tariff you're on
    -How frugal you are with electricity

There's not much point in us guessing, 'cause it will most likely be totally wrong.
    I just put the price as an idea of the size, very small. I was really just wondering what other people pay that are in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    I have a feeling you don't get a loan if you get an NHS bursary? Or has it changed since my sister applied? Just take that into account just incase
    No you can have both. Well if you tell student finance your getting the bursary you won't get as much but you don't need to tell them so you can get both. The bursary is really aimed to pay for tuition fees + a bit extra so you would need a loan on top of that if you used it for those puposes. But your allowed to spent it how you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5697)
    No you can have both. Well if you tell student finance your getting the bursary you won't get as much but you don't need to tell them so you can get both. The bursary is really aimed to pay for tuition fees + a bit extra so you would need a loan on top of that if you used it for those puposes. But your allowed to spent it how you like
    (Original post by student finance - question about NHS bursaries on application)

Bursaries from the National Health Service (NHS) or the Department of Health (DoH)

If you have applied, or will be applying, for a bursary from the National Health Service Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) you should answer “no” to this question because this is a separate bursary to those offered by the NHS or the DoH.

If you are receiving or are likely to receive an income assessed bursary or award, the only element of student finance you are eligible to apply for is the non-income assessed part of the Maintenance Loan and this will be at a reduced rate.

If you are receiving or are likely to receive a non-income assessed bursary then you are NOT eligible for any other student finance; unless you are a seconded student studying a health related course and you have been advised that you cannot apply for any bursary at all, either income or non-income assessed.
    I would really suggest making sure you're completely honest - if you don't, and you get max funding when actually you're entitled to none, you'd be landed whith a hefty invoice requesting repayment ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    For a standard 2 bed flat, Myself and my friend pay:

January to April - £50 Gas, ££50 Electricity

April to July - £10 Gas - £20 Electricity

July to October - As above

October to January - £100 Gas (based on ridiculous overuse) £100 Electric (as previous)

ReputationRep:
    As an aside it is worth considering how efficient the properties are when you go to look around them - e.g. do they have double glazing.

Letting agency vs private landlord - I know a few people who have a private landlord and love it, although I suppose there are advantages to letting agencies... it's probably swings and roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)
    I would really suggest making sure you're completely honest - if you don't, and you get max funding when actually you're entitled to none, you'd be landed whith a hefty invoice requesting repayment ASAP.
    Im slightly confused. I was told by a tutor that you didn't need to tell them you were getting a bursary. So does this mean that I won't get as much money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5697)
    Im slightly confused. I was told by a tutor that you didn't need to tell them you were getting a bursary. So does this mean that I won't get as much money?

I know you don't tell them (well tick the box on the form) for a social work bursary but I don't know about nursing and other NHS bursary. What course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    As an aside it is worth considering how efficient the properties are when you go to look around them - e.g. do they have double glazing.
    This is a good point. I am living in a purpose built block for the first am amazed at how little I have to have the heating on. It's a bit chilly in the daytime but from about 4pm and other people in the block get home my flat warms up!!

ps. I get full loan and grants AND a (social work) bursary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckillas)
    I know you don't tell them (well tick the box on the form) for a social work bursary but I don't know about nursing and other NHS bursary. What course are you doing?
    Im doing social work, sorry I should of said. Thanks I was a bit worried when someone said before that I wouldn't get it all when I'd already thought that I would.

ReputationRep:
    As echoed above, I'd try to go for somewhere with double glazing because it really helps cut down on the drafts. Things like phonelines, council tax, broadband and your TV licence will be fixed, it's the gas and electricity that you have to watch.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I have a one bed flat in quite a nice area and all our bills; Electric, water, rent, council tax, etc (we dont have gas) comes to just under a grand i think for a first time flat you should look at getting something that is purely electric because gas and electric is extortionate x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *twinkletoes*)
    My boyfriend and I have a one bed flat in quite a nice area and all our bills; Electric, water, rent, council tax, etc (we dont have gas) comes to just under a grand i think for a first time flat you should look at getting something that is purely electric because gas and electric is extortionate x
    Electric heating is way more expensive than gas.

ReputationRep:
    In new blocks you don't get a choice of gas or electric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Electric heating is way more expensive than gas.
    Yep i know but if you get somewhere with Gas and Electric then you will be paying ridiculous amounts. thats what i meant . gas on its own is cheaper but if you have both then it will obviously be more.
    I hate having electric heating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *twinkletoes*)
    Yep i know but if you get somewhere with Gas and Electric then you will be paying ridiculous amounts. thats what i meant . gas on its own is cheaper but if you have both then it will obviously be more.
    I hate having electric heating.
    But you'd be using way less electricity if you had gas heating. I can't see how it would be more expensive to have gas and electricity. Sure you'll have the added cost of gas, but your electricity bill will be far less, most likely resulting in a lower energy bill altogether...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.