Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On the news as part of the green paper it says the RAF is getting 10.5 billion for new planes wooohoooo. This will create loads of new work. I dont understand what people are panicking about there not reducing the size or anything there just gettign rid of some ships in order to make a few bigger ones and submarines. In RAF there getting rid of a few planes and replacing them with better ones, all is good.

ReputationRep:
    The RAF doesn't need new planes at the moment, the Fleet needs more ships and the AAC needs more helicopters.

ReputationRep:
    Well that was laymans terms. it means 10.5 billion injection basically mainly for planes and hellicopters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    This will create loads of new work. I dont understand what people are panicking about.
    Dude, I don't know how reliable these facts are but I can only assume your making random wild guesses.

Try telling that to people who've been dropped from the selection process.

ReputationRep:
    its a good step, the replacement of the tornados with typhoons and now harriers with F35's means the UK can forget about its jet force for at least another 50 or more years, creating at least some breathing room, instead of always having this overlooking feeling of "shouldn't we.."

But the RAF certainly wont be getting "bigger"...just more advanced. If anything it will actually get smaller after staff cuts and reductions in the actual amounts of planes ordered, as we wont be able to replace all the tornados with typhoons etc, as that would cost stupid money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wly)
    Dude, I don't know how reliable these facts are but I can only assume your making random wild guesses.

Try telling that to people who've been dropped from the selection process.
    i know what your saying that would suck. But maybe there telling you then you have to improve because your not right for the RAF, it might not have anything to do with cuts. When i applied i heard the next day from the head guy. He rang me up and booked my test in before i even knew about it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    The RAF doesn't need new planes at the moment, the Fleet needs more ships and the AAC needs more helicopters.
    Seriously :confused: It takes two operational squadrons to maintain a two plane QRA duty. Two dutys running in the UK, that means we need four squadron of Typhoon in the UK each with 12 aircraft to maintain a basic QRA over Britain, that's before we think about the Falklands. Oh and then what about Afganistan? I mean the Tornado has been doing a fantastic job, but they're a 30 year old aircraft how long are they going to keep going? And then what about the short fall in ELINT capability brought on by the retirement of the three Nimbrod R.1's. Or the short fall in maritime capability in the delys of the MRA.4 and the lose of the MR.2 fleet.

Oh and the RAF my have a couple of heli's of thier own.

ReputationRep:
    Its stupid to speculate at this point, there will be a new government in as of may, and it will be them who are making the decisions on the green paper.

ReputationRep:
    The RAF doesn't need new planes at the moment
    Are you sure about that one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!)
    Are you sure about that one?
    Yes, in terms of priority, if we had all the money in the world to spend then yes we could have a few new planes, but we don't, and there are more pressing needs.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Don't the RAF need new helicopters?
    Why don't the RAF need new aircraft? You do understand that it takes 10 years and more to bring a new design fast jet into service don't you? You can't just turn the orders off because you have changed your mind you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Don't the RAF need new helicopters?
    Why don't the RAF need new aircraft? You do understand that it takes 10 years and more to bring a new design fast jet into service don't you? You can't just turn the orders off because you have changed your mind you know.
    Well if they are rolling up on scheduled orders then fair do's, why is this news if they knew they were coming then? I thought this meant on top of that Harrier replacement jobby and stuff.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.