Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not planning to, but if I changed my mind, could I do Medicine with: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, English Literature and Physics?

ReputationRep:
    Biology and Chemistry are really the main subjects if you want to do Medicine!

Chem is essential for most 5year courses

ReputationRep:
    Probably not.

You need Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Basic answer no.
    Maybe a foundation course?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. i Know chemistry is a MUST have...

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I wanted to do economics then banking but now I'm thinking that being a doctor and helping people for a living would just be better in so many ways.. I need to decide on my A levels soon though and I'm not that good at chemistry..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    I'm not planning to, but if I changed my mind, could I do Medicine with: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, English Literature and Physics?
    Nope
    Seriously! Just check out any medicine website and you will know chemistry is essential...
    they already have a high number of applicants, even if perhaps one or two universities dont specifiy it (though i believe they all basically do) then there will be more than enough people applying WITH chemistry, making their applications stronger...

However, I do believe you could do a biomedical degree (though that might require biology) which you can then convert to medicine through
    IF you look carefully at which unis you apply to

ReputationRep:
    I like your motives

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that good at chemistry..
    So long as you can scrape an A!!!
    If not though... medicine might not be the career for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)
    I like your motives
    Sarcasm? :confused:

How hard is it really to become a doctor though? I mean I know it's hard but i've always been naturally academically able and I definately have the motivation for "24/7" studying.. didn't know chemistry was so important..

Also, how competitive is it? I know it's really competitive but all these people that choose A levels for medicine then get rejected (I'm sure there's loads) what do they do?

ReputationRep:
    Sarcasm? :confused:

How hard is it really to become a doctor though? I mean I know it's hard but i've always been naturally academically able and I definitely have the motivation for "24/7" studying.. didn't know chemistry was so important..

Also, how competitive is it? I know it's really competitive but all these people that choose A levels for medicine then get rejected (I'm sure there's loads) what do they do?
    Well medicine is competitive, but I mean, it's not ridiculously competitive. It's mainly about ticking all the boxes IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Can you do medicine with Chemistry, Geography , Psychology and Biology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedi4)
    yes

ReputationRep:
    not the most competative course, dentistry is, lol
    But OP, if u suddenly changed ur mind u could go for a 6 year course (tho not all unis provide this)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedi4)
    yes, you need chem and sometimes bio. post on and read the 'what subjects should i do' megathread on the medicine subforum, and get some work expirience before you start making any decisions

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not, unless you were to take a pre med year as well (I think)

ReputationRep:
    not with those a level choices - pick up chem and you should be fine i think..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mali Singh)
    not the most competative course, dentistry is, lol
    But OP, if u suddenly changed ur mind u could go for a 6 year course (tho not all unis provide this)
    After some reading, I found this on connection careers website:

"A few universities offer pre-medical courses for candidates with good grades in non-science subjects. This requires entrants to spend the first year of a six-year degree studying sciences, as preparation for the remainder of the course."

I think I'll stick with the ones I'm doing at the moment, then if I change my mind I know I wont be "doomed" as there are other options..

How important is Chemistry in terms of its relation to "medicine" in general, I'm pretty good at Biology but for some reason there are parts of Chemistry I don't get 100%, this could be because of my teacher though and missing parts..

Also, how hard is Medicine when you actualyl get in? I heard it's mostly just memorising things, that there are no concepts to grasp, just rmemebering lots and lots of stuff?

(LINK That's what you're on about, right? )

ReputationRep:
    jut do chem; if you wanna study medicine you should probably like/do biology aswell, or else you may hate your course/job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.