Turn on thread page Beta

COULD I do Medicine with these A-levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    You need Chemistry, and some require Biology. You should ideally take Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and one more academic subject at AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Sarcasm? :confused:

No no! No sarcasm. I actually like your reason for wanting to be a Doctor. I gave you positive rep. :top:

ReputationRep:
    After some reading, I found this on connection careers website:

"A few universities offer pre-medical courses for candidates with good grades in non-science subjects. This requires entrants to spend the first year of a six-year degree studying sciences, as preparation for the remainder of the course."

I think I'll stick with the ones I'm doing at the moment, then if I change my mind I know I wont be "doomed" as there are other options..

How important is Chemistry in terms of its relation to "medicine" in general, I'm pretty good at Biology but for some reason there are parts of Chemistry I don't get 100%, this could be because of my teacher though and missing parts..

Also, how hard is Medicine when you actualyl get in? I heard it's mostly just memorising things, that there are no concepts to grasp, just rmemebering lots and lots of stuff?

(LINK That's what you're on about, right? )
    Yea thats it, but uv also got 2 hav a great reason why u didnt do Bio and Chem in the 1st place (at interview) and that ur really dedicated to what u want to do, as I think the 6 year course is more competative than the usual 5 year one
    But Soph144 is right: u shouldnt do medicine if u: dont like biology, or if u cant understand the tricky concepts of Chem ( thats the reason y most unis want chem, simply because its so hard...).
    Ur choice mate, but jst because u havnt done the 'perfect' A-Levels, doersnt mean u cant do the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)
    No no! No sarcasm. I actually like your reason for wanting to be a Doctor. I gave you positive rep. :top:
    Oh thanks, my reputation is beyond redemption though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mali Singh)
    Yea thats it, but uv also got 2 hav a great reason why u didnt do Bio and Chem in the 1st place (at interview) and that ur really dedicated to what u want to do, as I think the 6 year course is more competative than the usual 5 year one
    But Soph144 is right: u shouldnt do medicine if u: dont like biology, or if u cant understand the tricky concepts of Chem ( thats the reason y most unis want chem, simply because its so hard...).
    Ur choice mate, but jst because u havnt done the 'perfect' A-Levels, doersnt mean u cant do the course
    I really enjoy Biology, just not Chemistry that much.. but again I think that's partly because I've missed some of the basics due to moving around so it's confused me a lot..

I'm now considering doing: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry, Biology.. that should leave my options open for Economics and Medicine, right? It's weird though.. I was sure I wanted to do a degree in economics but all of a sudden I've changed my mind. Also I'm only doing Single Science at GCSE, but after looking through the additional science it doesn't seem that hard and I'm sure I could teach myself that until I start A levels.

One questions though.. if I don't get into medicine, what would I do? Wait a year and re-apply? And is it important to get into a GOOD university or from what I understood, medicine is medicine despite what university?

And can you tell me anything about becoming a surgeon as that is what I'm mostly interested in :p:

A lot of questions, thanks for your help so far though

ReputationRep:
    Most require chem to A2, and biology at least up to AS level..
    so, at the moment, no, your a level choices wouldn't be enough.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's possible. There are some courses that don't need it (Looking at 6 year courses here), but.. if you can't do either Biology or Chemistry, why do you want to do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    lol, i'll giv it a go :ahee:...
    Iv found GCSEs really easy, and even AS's i didnt hav too much trouble with, but this year iv found chemistry solid: a huge step up from AS to A2 compared to GCSE to AS, so if ur finding chem (or Bio) difficult at this stage I wouldnt advise taking it on, after all u dont want to be in the situation of some of my mates who have 3 chem exams this summer (an AS and both A2s ) which their whole life depends on, without being too melodromatic :p:.
    Id say ur choices are v. sensible, but (im sorry to say) uv got to think not just about the degree but ur prospects after: what happens if ur one of thousands of economics graduates entering a country still in the midst of a recession? As opposed to the relative job security of a medical degree, ext.
    If u dont get in for medicine then u could always put a backup choice down, then go for that course instead, then apply as a graduate. And generally, it really does not matter where u go, jst so long as u get in somewhere!!! All the unis have the same course, same equipment, ext, it pretty much just matters about the uni itself: make sure u go to as many open days as u can to get a good idea of all the different locations and even things like distance from home, lol
    Dont really kno much about surgery, just that its very very lucrative Try da medical forum, they mite help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Yes, it's possible. There are some courses that don't need it (Looking at 6 year courses here), but.. if you can't do either Biology or Chemistry, why do you want to do medicine?
    Well, I wanted to do a degree in economics then some banking job but now I'm thinkign that I want to actually do something usefull.. being a surgeon would be cool.. I can't think of anything better job than helping people, also with the skills I would like to do volunteer work in Africa.. so yeah that's it.. I'm considerign doing: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Biology now..

ReputationRep:
    lol, i'll giv it a go :ahee:...
    Iv found GCSEs really easy, and even AS's i didnt hav too much trouble with, but this year iv found chemistry solid: a huge step up from AS to A2 compared to GCSE to AS, so if ur finding chem (or Bio) difficult at this stage I wouldnt advise taking it on, after all u dont want to be in the situation of some of my mates who have 3 chem exams this summer (an AS and both A2s ) which their whole life depends on, without being too melodromatic :p:.
    Id say ur choices are v. sensible, but (im sorry to say) uv got to think not just about the degree but ur prospects after: what happens if ur one of thousands of economics graduates entering a country still in the midst of a recession? As opposed to the relative job security of a medical degree, ext.
    If u dont get in for medicine then u could always put a backup choice down, then go for that course instead, then apply as a graduate. And generally, it really does not matter where u go, jst so long as u get in somewhere!!! All the unis have the same course, same equipment, ext, it pretty much just matters about the uni itself: make sure u go to as many open days as u can to get a good idea of all the different locations and even things like distance from home, lol
    Dont really kno much about surgery, just that its very very lucrative Try da medical forum, they mite help.
    I actually find Biology very easy but it's just Chemistry I'm having difficulty with but like I said it's mostly to do with missing out on year 10 so I just need to catch up..

Isn't medicine more Biology than Chemistry though?

And thanks again for your help! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yea definately, 1st year medicine is basically A2 biology from what people have said, so in practice bio is much more important

ReputationRep:
    Look up Charles University in Prague ; )

ReputationRep:
    Sarcasm? :confused:

How hard is it really to become a doctor though? I mean I know it's hard but i've always been naturally academically able and I definitely have the motivation for "24/7" studying.. didn't know chemistry was so important..

Also, how competitive is it? I know it's really competitive but all these people that choose A levels for medicine then get rejected (I'm sure there's loads) what do they do?
    omg holy ****

*withdraws application*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george54)
    omg holy ****

*withdraws application*
    Dude, you didn't honestly expect to have any form of a social life whilst studying medicine did you? :p:

ReputationRep:
    not the most competative course, dentistry is, lol
    But OP, if u suddenly changed ur mind u could go for a 6 year course (tho not all unis provide this)
    Dentistry isn't the most competitive course lol, Medicine and Vet Med have got to be the top 2 I reckon.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm not planning to, but if I changed my mind, could I do Medicine with: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, English Literature and Physics?
    Yes, if you take a course that offers a foundation year There are several universities offering the medical degree with a foundation year:

University of Bristol
    Medicine - MBChB Pre-medical entry (6 years) (A104)

Cardiff University
    Medicine (foundation course) (A104) 6FT Hon MBBCh

University of Dundee
    Medicine (Pre-medical year) (A104) 6FT Hon MB

University of East Anglia
    Medicine with a Foundation Year (A104) 6FT Hon MBBS

Keele University
    Medicine with Health Foundation Year (A104) 6FT Hon MBChB

The University of Manchester
    Medicine (6 years including foundation year) (A104) 6FT Hon MBChB

The University of Sheffield
    Medicine (Foundation Year) (A104) 6FT Hon MBChB

ReputationRep:
    If you don't enjoy Chemistry then i think you wouldnt enjoy doing the degree when you're at that stage.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not planning to, but if I changed my mind, could I do Medicine with: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, English Literature and Physics?
    You could get into Peninsula, who specify "a science" but I'd imagine you'd be at a disadvantage without chemistry or biology.

ReputationRep:
    You need chemistry A Level

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.