Turn on thread page Beta

Comment about looks confusion? watch

Hi there,

I recently met up with someone who I've been e-friends with for a while. I've had body dissmorphia for a long time (believe that I am hideous and ugly) and this person knew this and we went out to a club and talked and then went to eat. She's a girl I'm a guy both 19. Although we never talked about my image problems or anything it was on my mind the wholeeee night. She was pretty quiet too which made me feel like there was something wrong about me.

Anyway after a couple weeks I saw her on AIM and I was having a bad day and for some reason decided to ask her if she thought I was ugly. She said NO I was not at all ugly and I said ok so what did u think I was just average? She said "no I'd say you were quite good looking." And that was that. I felt confused as to whether she was being for real or not.

So its made me confused...what did she mean when she said quite good looking? I feel its the same as saying ur ugly.. or that ur a little bit good looking.. but not really.. can anyone help? I'm not good enough to be good looking? What did she mean? For the record I have received compliments from others and occasionally been insulted too.

[SIZE="1"]

Anon cos she's on here sometimes and due to my condition.

ReputationRep:
    you've posted this thread 3 times...

you need to sort your head out. stop obsessing.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say she probably meant you're quite good looking.

ReputationRep:
    she means youre not ugly, youre good looking

Ok thanks so far..I know I'm over analyzing but I concluded she didn't really think I was all that from her comment.

ReputationRep:
    what comment? That youre good looking? Why cant she just mean what she says?

ReputationRep:
    Does advice need to be repeated several times before it renders in your brain?

ReputationRep:
    You have issues, and I'd suggest your looks aren't the ones you should be concerned with.

loser

ReputationRep:
    it shud be fine soon enough if one perceveers!

ReputationRep:
    She meant it.

ReputationRep:
    She doesn't think you're ugly, but she's not going to go all out and say "OH YOU'RE SO HOT" in case you get the wrong idea about how she feels for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi there,

I recently met up with someone who I've been e-friends with for a while. I've had body dissmorphia for a long time (believe that I am hideous and ugly) and this person knew this and we went out to a club and talked and then went to eat. She's a girl I'm a guy both 19. Although we never talked about my image problems or anything it was on my mind the wholeeee night. She was pretty quiet too which made me feel like there was something wrong about me.

Anyway after a couple weeks I saw her on AIM and I was having a bad day and for some reason decided to ask her if she thought I was ugly. She said NO I was not at all ugly and I said ok so what did u think I was just average? She said "no I'd say you were quite good looking." And that was that. I felt confused as to whether she was being for real or not.

So its made me confused...what did she mean when she said quite good looking? I feel its the same as saying ur ugly.. or that ur a little bit good looking.. but not really.. can anyone help? I'm not good enough to be good looking? What did she mean? For the record I have received compliments from others and occasionally been insulted too.

[SIZE="1"]

Anon cos she's on here sometimes and due to my condition.
    What?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.