Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide between the two. I know they are both tough competitive courses but I want to try for at least one of them. On the one hand, a job test I did at school suggested educational psychology. On the other hand, I am very interested in mental health. Can anyone give advantages/diasadvantages of either career?

ReputationRep:
    Are you seriously considering a career because a job test at school suggested it?

If you're interested in mental health, go for Clinical Psych. But, be prepared to compete with 99% of all the other billions of psych grads.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't like a crappy online one, it was very comprehensive and actually analysed by people. I do know that clinical psychology is very competitive (although 99% is an exaggeration). I was wondering if educational psychology is any less competitive. I mean I am interested in that area too, or possibly health psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Both are extremely competitive ones to get into (perhaps clinical slightly more competitive than educational).

Both courses require a first degree in psychology (of at least an upper second) or a conversion course if you have a first degree in another subject.

For either profession you then have to get onto a professional doctorate course. For clinical you need at least a year's experience with relevant client groups and for educational you need at least a year's experience working with children.

For more info, see www.prospects.ac.uk or the BPS website at www.bps.org.uk.

Beth

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I had that trouble when I was doing my undergrad degree, choosing between educational or clinical. If you aren't sure which you would like best, try getting some work experience. I am currently working as a teacher in a special needs school which is more educational and I have mental health issues as well as learning needs.

Clinical work experience is harder to find but you can find AP jobs or research positions. There are also voluntary positions with MIND and other charities.

Good luck! I am sure either one will be rewarding, whichever way you go !!

ReputationRep:
    Experience also depends where you are looking to apply for your doctorate. Some unis are happy with relevent experience and are less firm on the length of experience whereas some others want 2-3 years of experience within a supervised clinical setting

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.