Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my a-level options choices are coming up. planning to take:

Further Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology

I'm not sure whether to try and take these, or drop biology. Did my GCSE maths a year early and doin some AS work now, so I may have a bit of a headstart with that, and i'm getting all a* in the sciences without really trying. How hard would it be if i tried to take all five, and what would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you're talking about AS? If you are, its going to take a lot of work! However if you're really passionate about each of them... go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisdan)

Further Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology

I'm not sure whether to try and take these, or drop biology. Did my GCSE maths a year early and doin some AS work now, so I may have a bit of a headstart with that, and i'm getting all a* in the sciences without really trying. How hard would it be if i tried to take all five, and what would you recommend?
    Take 5 and if you can't cope drop one?

Just a suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be too hard, but alot of universities think that since the course for Maths and FM are so similar, they shouldn't both count towards an offer. In UCAS terms, it MAY be a waste of time. You might wanna check that out, but again, it wouldn't be too hard.

ReputationRep:
    I am assuming that you mean you will be taking Maths and Further Maths. If you are already finding the sciences pretty easy and are brilliant at Maths I suggest you take all five, a lot of people at my school do however they pretty much glide through the actual Maths A level.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot of people do Maths and Further Maths to make five and cope just fine. You'll have to be committed, and you'll have to really enjoy the subjects to keep yourself motivated, but it is certainly possible to do all five and achieve good grades. It won't really give you an any advantage in terms of applying to university, and some courses at some universities may not let you include Further Maths, but the majority of the time its fine. I'm doing five and general studies to A2, and whilst it's a lot of work it's very rewarding and I enjoy keeping myself busy. You've got to be prepared to drop one if it gets too much though - it's definitely better to take four and get straight As than take more and end up sacrificing a grade or two, as so many people have done in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Further maths and maths don't really count as 2 anyway.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    All 5 at AS is manageable, and pretty common for those subjects, although don't jeapordise your grades by taking on too too much. As far as Alevels go take it as it comes, you can only really make that decision once you've taken AS's.

ReputationRep:
    as long as most of them have minimum coursework you'll be fine. thats the thing that always killed me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i am doing 5 and so can you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisdan)

Further Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology

Loads of people do those 5 subjects (coughtakehistorycough) and seem to cope well. A couple of people doing them at school seem to have less work than those taking (coughgoodcough) subjects like History and English Lit.

If you're naturally good at them at GCSE you'll have no troubles at A level really. Of course the first term will be a massive shock (no matter how much people tell you it won't prepare you for the step up!!) but stick at it and I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    If you're pretty bright which you seem to be, do it. My brother did the exact same A-levels back in '02 when A-Level maths was more difficult before they introduced this "core maths" bs and got straight A's. Heck i did six AS levels so five aint that hard! Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    I did 6 AS-levels, and I was fine. I'm sure you will be with those.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have seen hundreds of university offers but I still haven't seen any that require a student to take more than four A Levels.

(Original post by Muffinz)
    It wouldn't be too hard, but alot of universities think that since the course for Maths and FM are so similar, they shouldn't both count towards an offer. In UCAS terms, it MAY be a waste of time. You might wanna check that out, but again, it wouldn't be too hard.
    I thought that was only the case for certain subjects (Medicine I think was one of them) :unsure: For my offer (Economics) Maths and Further Maths were treated as two separate subjects.

To the OP, if you think you can cope and are interested enough then take all five. What are you looking into doing in the future in terms of university and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the further maths you are a capable student so if you think you are happy to put the time towards doing 5 then I'd go for it. One thing that caught people out at my school is that doing 5 meant they get 1/2 frees, meaning not only do they have more work anyway but they have less time to do it in school, but that may vary school to school.

I'd suggest having a read of http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...s_advisable.3F too

ReputationRep:
    Despite people saying that maths and further maths are pretty much one A-level, they are wrong. They are definately counted as seperate a-levels by unis, and both require alot of work. Take 5 a-levels if you must, but I don't see the point as no uni asks for more then 4 anyway.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.