Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm actually doing an economics paper on the topic of peak oil just now but I am struggling with statistical analysis and was wondering if anyone could help me.

Hubbert's peak oil theory basically says that world oil production will increase through time until a point where it 'peaks' at a maximum and will then enter terminal decline thereafter. Hubbert initially proposed a bell curve as the estimate of oil production, later revising this to a logistic distribution.

My problem is that I'm pretty uneducated in the field of statistics and econometrics and I'm sort of feeling my way in the dark in this area.

If I understand correctly, the Hubbert curve is the probability density function of the logistic curve, and the logistic curve itself serves as a 'running total' for oil production.

I basically want to construct a function, which will take the form of a best fit line for the data, so that I can check whether they best fit a normal, logistic, Cauchy, etc distribution. My ideas regarding this were to look at the kurtosis that the function exhibits (excess kurtosis > 1 means it is closer to logistic than normal, I think?)

Would I be able to draw 'model' bell curves, logistic PDFs etc alongside my estimated function as I know the area underneath the graphs?

At this point in time, peaking has either (a) occurred already or (b) is imminent. I want to construct this function so that it will have some predictive power about this peaking and future decline in production. I can calculate the total recoverable oil (which I presume is the area underneath the oil production graph). Will this be useful in the calculations?

Thanks ever so much if anyone can help!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.