Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, title says it all ! Arrrrg,my brain hurts D:

So basically. I've just been to a college open evening,and it looks great! But my school's pretty nice too, and I'm struggling to choose between them. I don't love my school, but if I go to college and hate it then I'm stuffed.

And after that.. I'm trying to pick between traditional and non-traditional subjects. BTEC National in Performing Arts looks AMAZING, but my parents are dead-set against it. Then there's the A-level option, English Lit, Bio,Drama+Theatre Studies, and Sociology. I really can't choose ! I dunno what to do for a job so that makes it harder.

I'd love anyones opinions of either, and to hear your experiences! How'd you manage to pick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickyDoodle)

So basically. I've just been to a college open evening,and it looks great! But my school's pretty nice too, and I'm struggling to choose between them. I don't love my school, but if I go to college and hate it then I'm stuffed.

And after that.. I'm trying to pick between traditional and non-traditional subjects. BTEC National in Performing Arts looks AMAZING, but my parents are dead-set against it. Then there's the A-level option, English Lit, Bio,Drama+Theatre Studies, and Sociology. I really can't choose ! I dunno what to do for a job so that makes it harder.

I'd love anyones opinions of either, and to hear your experiences! How'd you manage to pick?
    As someone who went from a good school to a college, I'd say stay at school. College has been **** for me, they generally don't care whether you do the work or not, as long as you get a C at A Level they're happy. My attendance has slipped so badly since leaving school, I really needed to stay somewhere a bit more strict.

As for A Level vs BTECs, A Levels win every time.

ReputationRep:

i'd personally say stay at your school. that way you'll be among the people you know. if your unsure about what you want to do as a job, then go for the a-levels because that leaves more options open. what would happen if after doing the btec you didn't want to do a drama course at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same decision as you to make and I made the worst one possible. I chose to stay at school and did a BTEC in Performing Arts along with two other A Levels, I really wish I had gone to college and done the more tradition route of four A Levels, although I guess I could have done that at school as well! !!! So now I am transfering to college to carry on with my two A Levels at A2 and pick up 2 new subjects at AS. :woo:, this means that I have wasted a year of my life doing a BTEC that I will never get any recognition for . However, I am really excited about going to college as I felt that going to sixth was practically the same as being in the lower school, we have no freedom and I really hate it and don't want you to make the same mistake.

However, with all that said it has to be your decision and a good word of advice is NOT to listen to your parents as it is not their life it is yours and you have to do what is right for you, even if they are not happy with it.

With all that said I would suggest going to college and doing the four A Levels, but do what you feel is best, because you will regret it if you are influenced by too many people and take their advice over your own gut instinct!

Good luck with everything and keep us posted on the decision you make!

I hope I have helped, Mia x

ReputationRep:

Not every college is the same, so most people on here can't make judgements. What I think you should do is ask some of the students who attend the college about their life there, the level of support they get and the overall pros and cons. They're the ones who can give you honest opions and the best ones at that. (The open day would have been a good oppotunity to do this), and do the same for the sixth formers at your school-- ask the ones who are experiencing it.

Oh, and if I were you I would go down the A level route. It opens more doors than BTEC does.

ReputationRep:
    I think it comes down to personal preference, both schools and colleges have advantages and disadvantages.

Some advantages of staying at school include:
    *Knowing the teachers and familar people
    *Smaller and a more personal environment
    *More structured
    *Already settled in

Advantages of colleges include:
    *New people
    *Bigger, with more independence
    *More courses and less timetable restrictions
    *Better factilities

So it's weighing up the pros an cons of both. Personally I didn't like how impersonal colleges were and knew if I went I wasn't at the stage of doing work without being pushed to, so going would have been disastrous. Plus it helps that I like my 6th form and they offered the courses I wanted

If you aren't sure what you want to do afterwards I would stick to A levels which will provide you more starting points than a very specific Btec would, plus A leves are more advantaged.

Ultimately though, do whatever you think suits you best. It's you who has to do the courses and go to the sixth form/college, not anyone else

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately it's up to you, like what you're aiming to have as a career later on, and I guess only you know what you would most motivated in learning.
    If i were you i'd ask teachers and current students at both your school and the college for advice/opinions, as it would give you a better idea of what it's like at both, just as ZOMG! said.
    I had a A-level 'taster' day at my school sixth form the other day and i had the same problem choosing - their BTEC in Forensic Science was so damn interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot,everyone !
    I found out today that my school is a 'flagship; Academy and although I don't like it, it is really good.
    I still don't know where I'm going, I've applied for college and am nearly guaranteed a place at my school anyways,
    I think once I go for my college interview, I'll be able to pick after doing a little research.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.