Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply for medicine later this year, but I'm not particularly confident when I speak and I'm quiet also. I know this will be a disadvantage if I get an interview, but I'm not sure what to do.
    How do I become more confident when speaking?
    I know this seems like a silly thread, but it's quite a big problem,
    Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    Go for a drink before it. Don't get drunk.

(Original post by Going_To_California)
    I'm hoping to apply for medicine later this year, but I'm not particularly confident when I speak and I'm quiet also. I know this will be a disadvantage if I get an interview, but I'm not sure what to do.
    How do I become more confident when speaking?
    I know this seems like a silly thread, but it's quite a big problem,
    Thanks for any help
    I think you should think outside the box on this one and possibly try something like auditioning for an amateur drama society?

Or if you can sing/play an instrument have a go at a few open mic nights.

Or take some speech and drama lessons. It'll all help you get outside your comfort zone and will increase your confidence.

ReputationRep:
    How about using one of your applications for some other non medicine course. You will probably get the interview earlier than the medicine one and so you can use it as a practice interview. At the very least it will get rid of the unknown surrounding the interview which is what makes a lot of people nervous.

ReputationRep:
    Practice infront of someone your comfortable with, like a friend, then after maybe read infront of the whole class... stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    Do you have someone at your college who is in charge of medicine applications? If so, ask them (or a careers advisor) if they can give you some mock interviews. Then you can get feedback etc, and learn how to act confident.
    Also, look at unis that don't interview for medicine - southampton is one (and it's a great uni!).
    And to make yourself more confident generally? It's difficult. Try joining some clubs and meet some new people.
    Hope some of this advice helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tikkitak)
    Do you have someone at your college who is in charge of medicine applications? If so, ask them (or a careers advisor) if they can give you some mock interviews. Then you can get feedback etc, and learn how to act confident.
    Also, look at unis that don't interview for medicine - southampton is one (and it's a great uni!).
    And to make yourself more confident generally? It's difficult. Try joining some clubs and meet some new people.
    Hope some of this advice helps!
    Hmm i was under the impression that it would be interviewing medicine applicants now, starting from the next application cycle. (not 100% sure though so dont hold me to it!)

OP, try and get as many mock interviews as possible. I find it's harder infront of people you know! As someone suggested above, perhaps join a drama group where you get used to speaking infront of people.

I'm a fairly shy person too but it will come to you easily when you're under pressure don't stress about it. (i'm a dentistry applicant, but we're interviewed too)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gardocki)
    Not a good idea. It's easy to smell a person who has been drinking. I say just be yourself and nothing more. If you try and act like a more intelligent person than you think you are then you'll fail miserably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwirlGirl)
    Hmm i was under the impression that it would be interviewing medicine applicants now, starting from the next application cycle. (not 100% sure though so dont hold me to it!)
    Ah, didn't know this! All I know is that they're not interviewing this year . I guess the OP will be applying for next year, so this was rubbish advice!
    But definately try and get some mock interviews!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TwirlGirl)
    I think you're right - if not for the 2011 cycle I'm almost certain 2012. And I think they're pushing their requirements up to AAA, as are BSMS. Would need confirmation though.

ReputationRep:
    Push yourself out of your comfort zone. If your school has a debating society or school committee, try and speak on it. It will give you more practice, make you calmer and also improve your technique.

ReputationRep:
    I am really nervous and find it hard to have confidence so I act and have a sort of persona.. Just try to talk confidently and practice in the mirror. Wear something that you really love and feel good wearing and you will increase your confidence. Also watch your body language. Before you go in practice breathing and relax. But remember that the interviewer is just a person like you and will have insecurities like you but they wont show them. Being shy or lacking confidence is also a part of you so don't try to mask it completely.

ReputationRep:
    Well for me it was two things that helped:
    -debate and what Phalanges said
    -suits, but that's probably just me and

ReputationRep:
    hallo there, GoingtocaliforniaA*A*A*A*A*A*A*A *A*A*

why are you interested in a profession that has lots of interactions every two minutes, if you dont like interacting?

wouldnt you be better off doing a career that is to your strengths?

not in a mean way, just asking the obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tikkitak)
    You wouldn't pick another university just because you don't want to be interviewed, would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    You wouldn't pick another university just because you don't want to be interviewed, would you?
    Well if you really really want to do medicine, but you know that interviews arent your strong point, it might make sense to apply to one that doesnt do interviews.
    Personally I applied there because I loved the uni, but there are people who apply there if they hate having interviews.
    It's not much different than applying to certain unis if your UKCAT score isnt too good. You might as well give yourself as good a chance as possible at getting in!

ReputationRep:
    I used to be realllllyy shy and quiet!

Personal experience here haha >>> I guess you can try volunteering for a start. It helps you interact with more people and slowly you'll start to build up your self-confidence (not just at interviews..), and do team sports! Really gets you talking more :yep:

+ know and be clear about what you like/ what you're good at! ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gardocki)
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    hallo there, GoingtocaliforniaA*A*A*A*A*A*A*A *A*A*

why are you interested in a profession that has lots of interactions every two minutes, if you dont like interacting?

wouldnt you be better off doing a career that is to your strengths?

not in a mean way, just asking the obvious.
    It's not that I dislike interacting, I just don't feel particularly confident at times whilst doing it. And I want to do medicine for lots of reasons, this is just something I'm trying to improve for medicine, but also for everyday situations

ReputationRep:
    i get you CaliforniaA*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.