Turn on thread page Beta

people who dont have much on facebook profiles? watch

I see where your coming from, Usually if I see someones profile which looks dead, the first thing i automatically think "oh their not really into the fb thing", I don't think "omg loser! under 100 friends, hardly any tagged photos, no comments PATHETIC". It's just stupid to judge someone based the contents of their profiles.

Also seen some people who post pictures of their numerous nights out drinking, honestly that just makes me think "what..is that all you do?"

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I still have over 1000 photos and I always untag loads. They're not my photos so why would it mean I'm compulsed by my own insecurity to document my life on Facebook? :dontknow:

Some people just like taking lots of photos of events so other people can identify the good and not-so-good ones and tag/untag at will. We're in the digital age now, it's not like we only have the capacity to take a few pictures every so often. It's much less hassle to upload all photos you've taken from one night rather than scanning through them and only choosing the ones that have turned out well; other people can do that.

Personally, I only get the camera out at special events e.g. people's birthdays. The last album I uploaded to Facebook was from when it snowed epically and before that Fresher's Ball.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you judge people who don't have many comments, photos or anything on facebook as not having much of a social life? Say if you went to school with someone who was quiet and unpopular and years later you add them on facebook to discover no one had tagged them etc would you think they were a bit of a loser? I mean what other explanation could there be if no one has tagged/put a picture up of them?
    Not everyone takes a camera out with them so that could be one explanation. Most people wouldn't really use facebook as an indicator of social life. If I see a profile with not many pictures/comments on then I wouldn't think that they have no social life. Lots of people with active social lives don't put up much at all on Facebook because of privacy for instance.

No I think people who spend their life on facebook to prove to people they have loads of photos and over 300 friends need validation that they have a life and need to tell everyone. Seems a bit attention seeking to me.

I have a friend who's annoyed because 1 person removed her off her facebook, she doesn't even talk to the person she just didn't want her over 200 friends dropping in numbers. It's odd when people worry about things like that on facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you judge people who don't have many comments, photos or anything on facebook as not having much of a social life? Say if you went to school with someone who was quiet and unpopular and years later you add them on facebook to discover no one had tagged them etc would you think they were a bit of a loser? I mean what other explanation could there be if no one has tagged/put a picture up of them?

I have a facebook account but I never go on it and even if people add me etc i'm never on there to accept. Its pretty pathetic to judge people's popularity based on how much they have on an online profile of them.. maybe they are out actually having a life with people they talk to now instead of caring about people in their past..

ReputationRep:
    Maybe theyre just using it occasionally? ie not devoting there entire existance to collecting friends and uploading every picture they can find because theyve got a life to go to.

Maybe theyre minted, and something ike facebook is just a afterthough, and to spend a significant amount of time on it is just frivolous?

OP, are you the kind of person who only recognises relationships when theyre on facebook?
    Have you considered that facebook =/= life?

ReputationRep:
    I created a facebook account like 2 years ago because i was forced into it and i hardly ever go on it

ReputationRep:
    No. I'm probably tagged in about 60 pictures which is 'low' compared to people I know who have thousands, but I don't think I'm a loser for it. The friends who I see regularly don't really take pics unless its a special occaision.

OP have you also considered that some people have friends who aren't the 'OMG we just went cinemaz lets take bare picz outside the cinema, inside the cinema toilets, waiting in line to buy cinema tickets etc' type? :dontknow:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.