Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    The percentage of people getting firsts in some subjects at Cambridge will be >%40 whereas it will be much lower at other places. Percentage of good degrees (2:1s and 1st) is one of the things on all the league tables.

My housemate got %98 in his quantum mechanics exam. Ridiculous :no:

I managed to scrape a 1st. I generally got between %65 and %85. Im not sure it was worth it really though because I was stressed out and miserable through a lot of uni.

For a science degree anyway, my advice would be:

for the exams - do every single problem and past paper that exists

and for each lab report - put in 20 more references than anyone else.
    lol your housemate must really be a genius:o: anyway thanx a LOT 4 the tips it'll be handy hopefully

and pls what course did you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatherineG30)
    Could someone explain how you get a first class honours degree? I mean don't just tell me you work really hard, I know that.
    I mean what marks do you have to get in your modules? Specifically in scotland as i know that is different due to the extra year you do? Anyone willing to break it down for me ?

each uni in scotland has different ways of determining your final grade

if you average with over
    70% in your exams you get a first
    60% its a 2.1
    50% its a 2.2
    40% its a third
    and anything below its a ordinary

some unis al so do that 50% of your 4th year exam makes up your final grade with 40% being your final year project and 10% of your third year results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stags4life87)
    Well I am just about to complete my BSc and I read an ebook on exactly how to write 1st class essays. I scowered the internet trying to find some help but I cam accross this item on eBay, it was £9.99 but my god has it changed the way I write! The results speak for themselves... I always found that finding your strengths in terms of assessment helps: I am rubbish at exams but now I excel in essay assignments...

what was the book called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polkmn)
    "Guerilla Marketing on Internet Forums"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioElectric)
    Very funny ...

ReputationRep:
    Very funny ...
    I'm not saying you're involved, I'm just saying that the post you replied to looks like a very obvious case of astroturfing.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am just about to complete my BSc and I read an ebook on exactly how to write 1st class essays. I scowered the internet trying to find some help but I cam accross this item on eBay, it was £9.99 but my god has it changed the way I write! The results speak for themselves... I always found that finding your strengths in terms of assessment helps: I am rubbish at exams but now I excel in essay assignments...
    would you like to share the title of this book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emperor)
    lol your housemate must really be a genius:o: anyway thanx a LOT 4 the tips it'll be handy hopefully
    He is. I was very jealous, he didnt even have to try.

and pls what course did you study?
    Physics BSc at Imperial College

(Original post by azzi)
    You can get a starred first aswell in some places.

ReputationRep:
    pls how hard is it to get 70% in uni....is it approximately the equivalent of getting >90% in an A-level exam???
    Hmmm, I can't speak for the 2nd and 3rd years of a degree, however in my first year, the work is not particularly hard, it's just that there is such a lot to learn! I'd say that we've covered as much content in the first term as I did in my 2nd year of A levels, and I did 4 subjects (bio, chem, maths, psych if you're interested).

Point is, it's theoretically not that hard if you put the hours in, but that would mean doing >24 hours a week outside your practicals + lecs, and that's only for the first year, before things start getting challenging :P

ReputationRep:
    can i have the name of this boook please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    can i have the name of this boook please
    Dont waste your money. Hes pretending to be a student - the guys post is clearly a sales pitch. He joined today and has only made one post. And anything worth reading will be printed in a real book not an 'ebook'

(Original post by RadioElectric)
    Originally Posted by
    spot on

ReputationRep:
    He is. I was very jealous, he didnt even have to try.

Physics BSc at Imperial College

You can get a starred first aswell in some places.
    a dont think you can get a starred in scotland a think its just upper and lower eg if u get above 5% its a upper and if its below its a lower eg

66% is a upper 2:1
    whereas
    64% is a lower 2:2

ReputationRep:
    spot on
    Not quite, I just realised it should be:

"Guerilla Marketing on Internet Forums for Dummies"

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.