Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Most university entry requirement pages say you only need Maths at GCSE level, which I have (I am year 11 but took my maths gcse in year 9) but I was wondering what the chances of actually getting in are without A level Maths. I'm struggling to narrow down A-levels as it is without adding maths into the mix.

Also, do you need a degree in economics to train as a stockbroker?

ReputationRep:
    Hell yes. The more maths the better when applying for Economics tbh. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    At uni, yep. At A-Level, no.

ReputationRep:
    They usually ask for an A in A level economics. Even if they don't, it's really mathematical so you would really struggle without it.

ReputationRep:
    To go anywhere decent for economics they will expect you to have A-level maths. Even if you don't do it and you still get in you will struggle with the Economics at degree level as Maths is a major component. Do it at A-level, it's really one of the best subjects.

ReputationRep:
    To do Bsc Economics at top Unis you're going to need A-Level maths.

ReputationRep:
    No, BA courses do not require maths. If you want a quantitative course and wish to go for stockbroking then do maths and go to the most prestigious uni available to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura94)
    Most university entry requirement pages say you only need Maths at GCSE level, which I have (I am year 11 but took my maths gcse in year 9) but I was wondering what the chances of actually getting in are without A level Maths. I'm struggling to narrow down A-levels as it is without adding maths into the mix.

if you did your maths gcse in year 9 then surely you found it a doddle? why did you not try and do AS maths in the following two years? (school permitting of course)

ReputationRep:
    I regret not trying hard enough in maths at AS.

Some will let you in without (not the really good ones though)
    And the ones that do are usually the BA courses which are less working and more general theory.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Yes, do maths A-level for sure (even over A-level economics).
    And no you don't need a degree in economics to train as a stockbroker.

ReputationRep:
    Asking do you need Maths to do Economics (at-least at the top universities) is like asking do you need oxygen to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaknffc)
    I regret not trying hard enough in maths at AS.

Some will let you in without (not the really good ones though)
    And the ones that do are usually the BA courses which are less working and more general theory.
    Not at all. I failed maths at AS level getting a U (Did no revision hence I'm resitting it all), yet still applied to for Economics Bsc and received an offer from surrey out of the 5, which isn't a bad University.

You'll do fine applying to Bsc economics as long as it dosent enter the top 20? University range.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You can get away without doing a level maths, i did, however when you at uni you'll learn all the useful topics in a level + further maths and more, so theres no point in not doing it. However if you find a course that doesnt incorporate at least calculus id say that was a worthless economics degree.

ReputationRep:

University of East London: No
    LSE: Further Maths

ReputationRep:
    nahh you really don't need maths a-level for economics, you only very occasiocally make gcse standard calculations, for uni you probably would though

ReputationRep:
    For any decent university, yes. For **** universities, no - by that, I mean universities outside the top 20 (or thereabouts).

ReputationRep:
    It depends on whether you want a Bsc or a BA
    I know Nottingham is within top 10 ( according to the times good university guide) and it does not required an A-level in maths
    but having one would really help

ReputationRep:
    Im at Sheffield and it doesnt require maths A level, but having to catch up is pretty hard. If you really want to do economics i would recommend doing maths A level

ReputationRep:
    I know of a guy at Nottingham who didn't do A level maths, but from what I know about the course, it's in your best interests to do it, because there's a lot of maths involved
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes. Yes. Yes. It's probably even recommended to do Further Maths.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.