Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_LiNk_x)
    Asking do you need Maths to do Economics (at-least at the top universities) is like asking do you need oxygen to live.
    I did Economics at York Uni without A level maths. It was very hard though tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayzee)
    Not at all. I failed maths at AS level getting a U (Did no revision hence I'm resitting it all), yet still applied to for Economics Bsc and received an offer from surrey out of the 5, which isn't a bad University.

You'll do fine applying to Bsc economics as long as it dosent enter the top 20? University range.
    Yes but most out of the top 20 are BAs.
    Some run both but my academic record isnt brilliant anyway so iv settled for the BA at manchester which i have an offer on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murray Hewitt)
    Im at Sheffield and it doesnt require maths A level, but having to catch up is pretty hard. If you really want to do economics i would recommend doing maths A level
    Also for economics, unis are increaisng their offers and this includes more uni asking for Maths. Sheffield BA is making offers:
    2011 AAB/ABB
    2010 ABB
    2009 BBB
    http://www.shef.ac.uk/economics/pros...eug/entry.html

So by 2012 this may well have Maths as mandatory or strongly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you need maths to do economics at university. Further maths will also be helpful.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Also for economics, unis are increaisng their offers and this includes more uni asking for Maths. Sheffield BA is making offers:
    2011 AAB/ABB
    2010 ABB
    2009 BBB
    http://www.shef.ac.uk/economics/pros...eug/entry.html

So by 2012 this may well have Maths as mandatory or strongly recommended.
    I am doing dual honours so although maths isnt unavoidable, i should hopefully be able to avoid it more next year with my module choices. If you are doing straight economics though i would imagine theres always gonna be a lot of maths there.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you want to end up at a **** university, do maths.If you want to be a stockbroker, I'd imagine (hope) that you are looking at the top ones, Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol etc and I think that all of them except Durham needed maths, and tbh, FM is a big advantage. In addition, having an understanding of A level maths will be massively helpful for stockbroking - a lot of financial maths is based on Stochastic Processes which you do not have a hope of understanding without the A2 calculus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quark123)
    Unless you want to end up at a **** university, do maths.If you want to be a stockbroker, I'd imagine (hope) that you are looking at the top ones, Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol etc and I think that all of them except Durham needed maths, and tbh, FM is a big advantage. In addition, having an understanding of A level maths will be massively helpful for stockbroking - a lot of financial maths is based on Stochastic Processes which you do not have a hope of understanding without the A2 calculus.
    Yeah, I made this thread last year and did end up taking maths. I'm glad I did! I think I was just nervous to be taking it on after having not done maths for 2 years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 26, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.