Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Confused about GCSE choices! Watch

• View Poll Results: Which fourth option????
    Applied Business (double award)
    5.56%
    Business and Communication Systems
    0%
    Economics
    19.44%
    German
    22.22%
    History
    52.78%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paki4lyf786)
    ill NEVER change my decision to study medicine at university..... my heart is SET on helping people and being admired and respected by society whilst also earning a decent amound of money
    Ok, when I was your age, I was SET on studying medicine just like you, as were two people I know, and we've all changed our minds. I now want to do history (a complete U-turn, I know, but I seriously was dedicated to it, I did so many wasted hours of work experience in my local hospital, lol), one wants to do Pharmacology and the other; forensic science.

I almost took business studies instead of history for GCSE, and now I'm extremely glad I didn't. I still love Biology, Chemistry and Maths, and am taking them all for AS Level, at least.

Also, the similarities between Geography and History at GCSE really are quite non-existant. Everyone assumes that because they are both humanities that you can't take them together, but I know plenty of people who took both and some who are doing the same again at AS. -I personally would recommend History over Geography, but I'm biased

Final point- A school where Media Studies has been made compulsory...? Seriously, I'd move schools.

(I'm taking German GCSE. I was pants at KS3, grade C 6 months ago but am getting an A/A* now, if you put the effort into German, and learn the vocab, you can get good marks, and having a mfl ALWAYS looks good! And if you aren't prepared to put effort into stuff, then Medicine isn't for you really. So I would say either German or History. Even though it looks like you've already decided on one of your business options.)

ReputationRep:
    Medicine All The Way!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    History or German, I did History so I voted for it.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Iv Decided To Go For Applied Business

ReputationRep:
    History.

ReputationRep:
    Iv Decided To Go For Applied Business
    If your exam board is Edexcel for Applied Business I persoanlly would WARN you of the ridiculous amount of coursework involved and it's a vocational GCSE. The exam is piss easy but only worth 34% of the whole weighting and even if you manage to get an A* in the exam you still can't get two GG. ONLY if you have REALLY...and I mean REALLY good business teachers in your school who know their stuff when it comes to the coursework then I would advise you to take the GCSE. Although, please do remember that this only applies to the Edexcel Applied Business Studies GCSE (I don't know about the other exam boards). Seriously though don't take it for the sake of choosing an option! Choose History it's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT do business and communications - it's the biggest waste of time ever! i did history and spanish, which were both the hardest GCSEs, and required the most work and revision, but especially history, are the most interesting. although i'm slightly biased because i'm applying for a history degree

ReputationRep:
    DO HISTORYYYYYYYY
    how does it clash with geography??
    if not history, do ECONOMICS
    imo it's better then 'applied business'

ReputationRep:
    Do History, German or Economics

ReputationRep:
    Just to correct myself. It isn't applied business but actually BTEC business worth 2 GCSE's. What do universities think of BTEC courses?
    Sent from my iPod

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just wanted to say that I am doing a project at the moment to look at encouraging people to study a modern language at GCSE. Modern languages are going to be helpful no matter what career you choose, but will be really useful in medicine. My Dad is a doctor and works with people from all over the world, as well as looking after ill people who don't speak English. OK, so they don't all speak German either, but learning another language might help. My Dad wishes that he spoke another language and that he paid more attention in his French classes!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trumpetak47)
    Hey guys, just wanted to say that I am doing a project at the moment to look at encouraging people to study a modern language at GCSE. Modern languages are going to be helpful no matter what career you choose, but will be really useful in medicine. My Dad is a doctor and works with people from all over the world, as well as looking after ill people who don't speak English. OK, so they don't all speak German either, but learning another language might help. My Dad wishes that he spoke another language and that he paid more attention in his French classes!!
    TBH. i'll just get some advice from teachers on GCSE information evening. I am really not keen on taking a language. It's sooooooo ****** boring and tedious...... I'm SOOOO confused.. My head hurts:confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Just to correct myself. It isn't applied business but actually BTEC business worth 2 GCSE's. What do universities think of BTEC courses?
    Sent from my iPod
    Well if it's a Btec worth 2 GCSE's then it's a certificate award. I would advise you to stay well away from the Btec's especially if you want to do Medicine, they don't deem them highly. Choose a GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of what universities like: History > German > Economics > Applied Business > Business and Communications Systems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    Well if it's a Btec worth 2 GCSE's then it's a certificate award. I would advise you to stay well away from the Btec's especially if you want to do Medicine, they don't deem them highly. Choose a GCSE.
    sorry it's a diploma worth 4 gcse's. Is it still worthless for Medicine?
    Thanks 4 ur help

ReputationRep:
    sorry it's a diploma worth 4 gcse's. Is it still worthless for Medicine?
    Thanks 4 ur help
    Oh ok. Nevertheless, the Diploma won't be worth 4 GCSE's to most uni's and yeah they won't count it as 4 A*s if you get a Distinction in it. You might be lucky and some may count it as 1 A*. If there is anyway that you can get out of doing a Btec or a Diploma then try to get out of it and do a GCSE. It is pretty worthless for Medicine especially. It's not even recognised without a Distinction in it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok. Nevertheless, the Diploma won't be worth 4 GCSE's to most uni's and yeah they won't count it as 4 A*s if you get a Distinction in it. You might be lucky and some may count it as 1 A*. If there is anyway that you can get out of doing a Btec or a Diploma then try to get out of it and do a GCSE. It is pretty worthless for Medicine especially. It's not even recognised without a Distinction in it anyway.
    the thing is u see. I dnt knw wot else 2 tke. I cnt do languages - too difficult and I cnt be arsed with history!!!
    So wot shud I tke then???????
    Plz help.... Uv been really hlpful so far. I appreciTe ur help

ReputationRep:
    the thing is u see. I dnt knw wot else 2 tke. I cnt do languages - too difficult and I cnt be arsed with history!!!
    So wot shud I tke then???????
    Plz help.... Uv been really hlpful so far. I appreciTe ur help
    Ok so basically you can only take Btec business, history or a few languages. I would try to persuade you to do a language but i've gathered that you're not too keen on them. I really would urge you to do history in that case because in the long run Btec business won't benefit you - history will look better to uni's and languages would appeal even more. What else is in your option block?

ReputationRep:
    Ok so basically you can only take Btec business, history or a few languages. I would try to persuade you to do a language but i've gathered that you're not too keen on them. I really would urge you to do history in that case because in the long run Btec business won't benefit you - history will look better to uni's and languages would appeal even more. What else is in your option block?
    Well this is what im gonna be doing:
    maths
    media studies
    english literature
    english language
    RE - full course
    OCR nationals ICT ( finishing this year - gnna get a distinction)

Then im choosing:
    geography - because i enjoy it and get top levels
    ict - becuase im interested in it and i find it easy
    triple science - because i love science & its gud wen applyn 4 medicine
    _______ THIS IS WHERE I AM CONFUSED_____________
    i find history soooooooo boring and i hate languages............ :sad:

YOU TELL ME ANY SUGGESTIONS AND ILL TELL YOU IF I CAN DO THEM

thanksssssssssssssssss soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much

ReputationRep:
    History. I regret not taking it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.