Turn on thread page Beta

Confused about GCSE choices! watch

• View Poll Results: Which fourth option????
    Applied Business (double award)
    5.56%
    Business and Communication Systems
    0%
    Economics
    19.44%
    German
    22.22%
    History
    52.78%

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me! I think it is worth doing German even if you hate it, each GCSE does not take up much time and you might want to do an Erasmus year or something later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squamous)
    Sounds good to me! I think it is worth doing German even if you hate it, each GCSE does not take up much time and you might want to do an Erasmus year or something later.
    Let's say that I get 9 A* and 3 A. Is that average or excellent for a university like Sheffield??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paki4lyf786)
    Let's say that I get 9 A* and 3 A. Is that average or excellent for a university like Sheffield??
    If they were all GCSE's and not equivalents then they'd be good enough for oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    If you can speak Urdu fluently and possibly panjabi then I think it would be worth taking the GCSE in it...I did my bengali GCSE and it wasn't too hard. However, if you speak the Mirpuri language and not the Urdu then it would take a bit more time getting the A*. This is what happened in Bengali - basically I can speak the Mirpuri version of Bengali (Sylheti) and not the proper language which is Dhakai (the equivalent of Urdu). You should ask your school if you could take the GCSE if it's offered. Plus, it'll add to your A's and A*'s...trust me the lowest you can get is an A in your own language even if you don't have a teacher.

EDIT: This will also mean you've done some sort of language which will look good on any application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    If you can speak Urdu fluently and possibly panjabi then I think it would be worth taking the GCSE in it...I did my bengali GCSE and it wasn't too hard. However, if you speak the Mirpuri language and not the Urdu then it would take a bit more time getting the A*. This is what happened in Bengali - basically I can speak the Mirpuri version of Bengali (Sylheti) and not the proper language which is Dhakai (the equivalent of Urdu). You should ask your school if you could take the GCSE if it's offered. Plus, it'll add to your A's and A*'s...trust me the lowest you can get is an A in your own language even if you don't have a teacher.

EDIT: This will also mean you've done some sort of language which will look good on any application.
    unfortunately they don't offer it
    and yh I speak the original. Not mirpuri

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately they don't offer it
    and yh I speak the original. Not mirpuri
    It doesn't matter if your school doesn't offer it because my school didn't offer bengali either. Ask your head of mfl if you could be entered for the exam and just make sure you prepapre for the speaking exam. Your school might give you guidance?...you never know. I really do recommend that you take your Urdu GCSE early in year 10.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter if your school doesn't offer it because my school didn't offer bengali either. Ask your head of mfl if you could be entered for the exam and just make sure you prepapre for the speaking exam. Your school might give you guidance?...you never know. I really do recommend that you take your Urdu GCSE early in year 10.
    trust me, my skool is really crap... They won't do it!
    I'M really confused even more because iv just seen how difficult the german exams are... :lolwut:
    but I fear that if I opt for the btec, I may not be accepted for university for medicine in 5 years time!!!
    HELLLP !!!:sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    trust me, my skool is really crap... They won't do it!
    I'M really confused even more because iv just seen how difficult the german exams are... :lolwut:
    but I fear that if I opt for the btec, I may not be accepted for university for medicine in 5 years time!!!
    HELLLP !!!:sadnod:
    Don't worry about not being accepted for medicine, as long as you do well in all the proper GCSE's then you'll be fine. Just pester your school again and again until they give in, that's what I did...I set up a petition and went to some pretty extreme-ish lengths. Seriously, keep at it until they let you do the GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about not being accepted for medicine, as long as you do well in all the proper GCSE's then you'll be fine. Just pester your school again and again until they give in, that's what I did...I set up a petition and went to some pretty extreme-ish lengths. Seriously, keep at it until they let you do the GCSE.
    I guess I'll just do german then and pray to Allah that I do really well... At the end of the day, if I get an A I'll be really thankful and happy and if I get an A*..... Well then it's mauja mauja for me....

ReputationRep:
    Okay my paki bro U NEED a language or no job will take you but ur lucky if u speak urdu or punjabi **** german and choose History its a really good subject DO NOT take business its a btec economics is beter GCSE. In all honesty German is easy if you speak fluent English as both languages are similar. History or eco if you really h8 German. Wasalm

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is so damn competitive these days, they're not overly fussed on huge grades at GCSE but they do like pure subjects, even colleges aren't that fond on applied subjects in a lot of areas (especially because you'll be applying to do Chemistry, Maths etc.) History is a nice thing so i'd say that could be a great choice.

Just keep on top of your German (set yourself to learn so many words a week) and you'll be completely fine, the language GCSEs aren't overkill, especially if you're fine with English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akbar2k7)
    Okay my paki bro U NEED a language or no job will take you but ur lucky if u speak urdu or punjabi **** german and choose History its a really good subject DO NOT take business its a btec economics is beter GCSE. In all honesty German is easy if you speak fluent English as both languages are similar. History or eco if you really h8 German. Wasalm
    thanks yaar 4 ur help.... If it's really that important to have a language then I'll take german. But history is soooooooooooooooooo boring!!!!
    I'm taking geography, ict (double award), german, triple science, religious studies, English literature, English language, maths, media studies.
    Are these good choices????

ReputationRep:
    thanks yaar 4 ur help.... If it's really that important to have a language then I'll take german. But history is soooooooooooooooooo boring!!!!
    I'm taking geography, ict (double award), german, triple science, religious studies, English literature, English language, maths, media studies.
    Are these good choices????
    Okay dude thats great 9 A*'s would pwn and you are looking for a bright future im only gonna get 3 A*'s and
    4 A' s but two A's in english is really really goood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akbar2k7)
    Okay dude thats great 9 A*'s would pwn and you are looking for a bright future im only gonna get 3 A*'s and
    4 A' s but two A's in english is really really goood.
    Thanks man... I'm also doing AS level religious studies in year 10. So I'll have 5 AS Levels and 3 A2 Levels

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man... I'm also doing AS level religious studies in year 10. So I'll have 5 AS Levels and 3 A2 Levels
    Wtf you're doing your AS and A levels in year 10 and you're worried about you're GCSE options!!!!!! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Wtf you're doing your AS and A levels in year 10 and you're worried about you're GCSE options!!!!!! :lolwut:
    I know but I'm not exactly going to tell the university that I did a levels in year 10????

Or can I??? Where would I put it??? I don't wannt come acrooss as big headed in the interview!!!

ReputationRep:
    I know but I'm not exactly going to tell the university that I did a levels in year 10????

Or can I??? Where would I put it??? I don't wannt come acrooss as big headed in the interview!!!
    I'm not an expert as I'm only in Yr 11 but I thought on your UCAS form you have to enter what percentage you got in your AS exam, and when you took it and the subject - obviously

ReputationRep:
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing history atm and im in year 11. it's a great subject and shows people that you have good writing and analytical skills. there is a fair bit of coursework but most of it is was pretty basic. They added terrorism to the course and Jack the Ripper is quite interesting so its not just really boring history to learn about.
    I've heard that now you sit one exam at the end of year 10 on the American West which makes it so much easier.

ReputationRep:

Wow, that's like practically being in college.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.