Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A particle is moving along the x-axis with constant deceleration 5ms-2. At time=0, the particle passes through the origin o with velocity 12ms-1 in the positive direction. At time t secounds the particle passes through the point A with x-coordinates 8. Find the values of t.

Any help?

I know the formula that is used is s=ut+1/2at^2 but I keep getting the wrong answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mist786)
    A particle is moving along the x-axis with constant deceleration 5ms-2. At time=0, the particle passes through the origin o with velocity 12ms-1 in the positive direction. At time t secounds the particle passes through the point A with x-coordinates 8. Find the values of t.

Any help?

I know the formula that is used is s=ut+1/2at^2 but I keep getting the wrong answer.
    a=-5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    a=-5
    I still get the wrong answer.I sustituted the values

ReputationRep:
    u=12
    a= -5
    s=8
    t= ?
    s= ut + 1/2 at^2
    8= 12t -2.5t^2
    5t^2-24t+16=0
    (5t-4)(t-4)=0
    t=4, t=0.8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    u=12
    a= -5
    s=8
    t= ?
    s= ut + 1/2 at^2
    8= 12t -2.5t^2
    5t^2-24t+16=0
    (5t-4)(t-4)=0
    t=4, t=0.8
    Thanks
    btw, cool profile

ReputationRep:

Any help?

a= -5ms-2
    u = 12ms-1
    s = 8

Sub in the values and rearrange into a quadratic and solve

ReputationRep:
    How'd you solve it if the next question was: Find the velocity of the particle as it passes through the point with x-coordinate -8

ReputationRep:
    How'd you solve it if the next question was: Find the velocity of the particle as it passes through the point with x-coordinate -8
    Sub in s=-8 instead and see what happens?

ReputationRep:
    Sub in s=-8 instead and see what happens?
    I get the wrong answer because the question asks what is the velocity not time

ReputationRep:
    I get the wrong answer because the question asks what is the velocity not time
    Well, you've got u=0, s=-8, a=-5, and are trying to find v; do you know an equation of motion linking those four?

ReputationRep:
    You may be expected to use more than one SUVAT equation in one question if it's long, so don't confine yourself to just the s=ut+1/2at^2.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you've got u=0, s=-8, a=-5, and are trying to find v; do you know an equation of motion linking those four?
    If I use the formula v^2=2as-u^2, I stll get the wrong answer when I substitute usa in the formula. How is u=0?

ReputationRep:
    If I use the formula v^2=2as-u^2, I stll get the wrong answer when I substitute usa in the formula. How is u=0?
    Ah sorry, u=12; I'm a bit too used to doing these starting from rest.
    I'm pretty sure the equation is actually v^2=u^2+2as; try it with that and see if that gives you the right answer.

ReputationRep:
    Ah sorry, u=12; I'm a bit too used to doing these starting from rest.
    I'm pretty sure the equation is actually v^2=u^2+2as; try it with that and see if that gives you the right answer.
    Okay, cool

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.