Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not sure what to do at the moment

basically I got with my ex in jan 08. We were together until december 08 and it's taken me a long time to get over it. I got with her after my previous gf broke up for me (suspected she was cheating), but we had been freinds for about 4-5 years.

it was all going great but in the end it went much too quickly, and she started to become very childish and demanding and overbearing. Whenever we met up, there were arguements and I was very down about it. I broke up with her shortly after christmas and I hated myself for it but it was for the best. I still cared for her however and after giving it time we met up again. She was devastated by the break up I think, but we met up a few months ago and it was great to see each other.

I still care about her, she has quite a few (albeit not major but I can tell they really get to her) problems in her life, and I genuinely want to look out for her, want her to be OK. She's quite childish at times however and tries to rub any hint of another partner in my face which gets tiresome. We were meeting up and talking regularly but I didnt want it to go anywhere other than freinds - problem being is that she clearly still has feelings for me and wants more.

Problem is, I've finally moved on and have recently got a girlfreind.. I don't know what to do as I don't want to cut off the ex altogether as we're good freinds, but I don't think it's fair on her or my girlfreind to carry on speaking to her. I've tried telling her and cutting back on contact but she gets a hint and she goes overboard, constant calls etc, and even when it dies off to less regular contact, I don't really want to be talking constantly to an ex - I wouldnt feel comfortable if my girlfriend did it and I only think it's respectful to her that I dont.

Do I talk to the ex still or cut her off altogether? is it going to just mess with her head if I do still talk to her and give her false hope, or is it better if she just thinks I'm a ******* who doesnt wanna know.

sorry for the long post.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I really think it should be up to your ex to put her foot down and tell you where to go. She needs to be the strong one in this situation.

Do you feel you lead her on? My ex broke up with me (messy story) and I totally didn't want to know him for a few months, then we started talking. He said he wanted to get back together, said he still loved me, I stupidly belived him. Then I found out he had a new girlfriend. ****. He said he still cares about me and is soooo worried about me blah blah blah. I want to skin him alive and rub him in lemon juice. One day I swear I will.

If it was all above board and you made it clear you were just friends when you got this new girlfriend, she has nothing to hold against you. However if it was all a bit unsure at the time, that's just unfair.

It shouldn't bother your girlfriend that you speak to an ex. She's got you, and ex is an ex at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7.../fight2st0.gifhttp://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7.../fight2st0.gifhttp://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7.../fight2st0.gifhttp://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7.../fight2st0.gif

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.