Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just wondered if anyone on this thread studies/ studied ppe before moving to banking.

Not too sure how this degree is viewed in the City, I'm guessing it must be held in pretty good esteem as the politics and economics are relevant to IB.

I am a current undergrad and am considering (most likely...) to drop out and apply for PPE at Oxford, as I have decided I want to move towards an IB career; and I feel this course is most suited to me.

thanks for any input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    Hi,

Just wondered if anyone on this thread studies/ studied ppe before moving to banking.

Not too sure how this degree is viewed in the City, I'm guessing it must be held in pretty good esteem as the politics and economics are relevant to IB.

I am a current undergrad and am considering (most likely...) to drop out and apply for PPE at Oxford, as I have decided I want to move towards an IB career; and I feel this course is most suited to me.

thanks for any input.
    Though I can't provide any experience, I also have IB as a career possibility and PPE as a college course choice.

Your logic on politics and economics being useful in the city seems pretty sound, lets hope for both of our sakes you're right

If not you can always go into politics without too much hard work :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    PPE at Ox is one of the most prestigious courses in the world. Go figure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    PPE at Ox is one of the most prestigious courses in the world. Go figure?
    I guess that puts it in perspective!

ReputationRep:
    PPE is an excellent course, probably wouldn't look outside the top 10 if you want to crack Banking.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

thanks for any input.
    Current course and uni?

Prestige comes with excessively high competition for PPE places... Before you go making such a drastic decision and taking the advice of other people, id assess whether you stand a realistic chance of getting in and whether you are prepared to essentially take, from what it seems, an all or nothing gamble..

PPE is not the golden path into a BB... Lets not kid ourselves here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Current course and uni?

Prestige comes with excessively high competition for PPE places... Before you go making such a drastic decision and taking the advice of other people, id assess whether you stand a realistic chance of getting in and whether you are prepared to essentially take, from what it seems, an all or nothing gamble..

PPE is not the golden path into a BB... Lets not kid ourselves here.
    I'm currently on an extremely vocational degree at Uni, not sure it is suited to me anymore, currently evaluating options, PPE suits me. A-levels 3A's history, chem, bio 7A*'s 3a's at GCSE, am going to compelte an AS in Maths to improve my chances. I know it is competitive, but worth a shot, I was put forward for Oxbridge at 6th form, but at the time chose not to take the route. Compared to a 17 year old/ 6th former etc, the experience I have picked up at Uni is invaluable, I have learnt a lot about myself and where my interests lie, and that should give me an edge over the standard applicant.

It is a gamble but you don't have to drop out of Uni to apply, I can apply whilst still at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on an extremely vocational degree at Uni, not sure it is suited to me anymore, currently evaluating options, PPE suits me. A-levels 3A's history, chem, bio 7A*'s 3a's at GCSE, am going to compelte an AS in Maths to improve my chances. I know it is competitive, but worth a shot, I was put forward for Oxbridge at 6th form, but at the time chose not to take the route. Compared to a 17 year old/ 6th former etc, the experience I have picked up at Uni is invaluable, I have learnt a lot about myself and where my interests lie, and that should give me an edge over the standard applicant.

It is a gamble but you don't have to drop out of Uni to apply, I can apply whilst still at Uni.
    Well you seem to meet the criteria academically anyway. Of course, it is worth a shot and i forgot you dont have to drop out to reapply, sorry about that!

If you have your heart set on PPE then thats great, but if the end goal is to set yourself up for a BB, then there are many different combinations of Politics/Economics etc at other highly respected, and i should add, target, universities. Look at what UCL/Warwick and to a lesser extent (for that subject choice) Imperial offer. As im sure you are aware, these 3 universities are very well represented in the City.
    Just dont put all your eggs in one basket

ReputationRep:
    how is PPE relevant for IB? it can be if you solely take the econ modules in the later stages of the degree, but history has shown it is better suited for politicians. why not econ & management if you are set on Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    how is PPE relevant for IB? it can be if you solely take the econ modules in the later stages of the degree, but history has shown it is better suited for politicians. why not econ & management if you are set on Oxford?
    I don't have an A-level in Maths. I could self teach an AS but think I would struggle to cover an full A level with current commitments as well.

ReputationRep:

How old are you? If you wait until you're 21 you can apply as a mature/affiliated student and have a pretty high chance of getting a place. I believe you can complete the degree in 2 years rather than 3 (at Cambridge anyway, not sure about Oxford) if you're a mature student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    How old are you? If you wait until you're 21 you can apply as a mature/affiliated student and have a pretty high chance of getting a place. I believe you can complete the degree in 2 years rather than 3 (at Cambridge anyway, not sure about Oxford) if you're a mature student.

I'm currently 20, and the degree I'm on is 5 years long i am in my second year. I think I can apply as a mature student as even though I will still be 20 next September when I apply, I will be 21 by the time the course starts Sept 2011?? Or that is the impression I got off the Oxford mature student website...

As for other comments, choosing ppe has mainly been due to a career direction change in my life and me facing up to the fact i do not enjoy my current degree. IB/ finance/ management/ politics are ultimately all things I have strong interests in and would enjoy, or at least think so!

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

thanks for any input.
    IB usually take from any (not a literal 'any') degree subject, so having politics and economics in a degree can only help. You'd probably be better off writing to Oxford, explaining your situation and applying through that rather than dropping out, which seems like quite a gamble.

ReputationRep:
    You will stand a solid chance at all banks with PPE from Oxford. Though dropping out may be a problem. PPE at Ox is hard to get into at the best of times, and tbh your grades are certainly nothing more than average compared to the people applying, and the fact your are dropping out will go agains't you in the admissions process i would imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damarus)
    You will stand a solid chance at all banks with PPE from Oxford. Though dropping out may be a problem. PPE at Ox is hard to get into at the best of times, and tbh your grades are certainly nothing more than average compared to the people applying, and the fact your are dropping out will go agains't you in the admissions process i would imagine.
    i disagree. if you are dropping out of a degree you hate to do PPE at Oxford I think any employer would understand :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    i disagree. if you are dropping out of a degree you hate to do PPE at Oxford I think any employer would understand :yep:
    I think he means it would count against you in the Oxbridge admissions process.. unless im reading it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently 20, and the degree I'm on is 5 years long i am in my second year. I think I can apply as a mature student as even though I will still be 20 next September when I apply, I will be 21 by the time the course starts Sept 2011?? Or that is the impression I got off the Oxford mature student website...

As for other comments, choosing ppe has mainly been due to a career direction change in my life and me facing up to the fact i do not enjoy my current degree. IB/ finance/ management/ politics are ultimately all things I have strong interests in and would enjoy, or at least think so!

Cheers.
    Generally, universities (especially Oxford and Cambridge - or so I've heard) take a dim view of people applying to them whilst at other universities.

Furthermore, you would probably not be able to get student loan/grant funding for your final year. Student Loans usually operates on the rule that they'll fund you for the length of the degree course you are currently on (which would by that point possibly be 3 years) plus one year. As you've (probably) already been funded through 2 years of a course (or will by the end of this year) then you wouldn't get the last year at Oxford funded.

ReputationRep:
    So many assumptions here i decided to call them up...

Very helpful indeed, glad I did so. Was told that whilst a very bold move in career direction it would by no means go against an application as long as you could justify it. Personally i think, having been to University, seen what it is all about etc and learnt about myself and my interests, I see that as an advantage. The fact I am doing something about as mentioned above has to be an advantage imo.

Is that a fact that they take a dim view whilst applying from another Uni, or just a myth? As mentioned by loggins above, applying as a mature student has it's advantages.

Also, the funding thing wouldn't necessarily affect me as such.

ReputationRep:
    IB is accessible from most degrees from Oxford so in that respect if you were to secure a place doing PPE you would be in a good position.

What are your motives for working in IB? This is important as most people are attracted to the money, without considering the sacrifices. Are you prepared to literally sacrifice your mid 20s working in IB. In a tutorial today my tutor was referring to friends working for GS HK who had stints of up to three weeks without leaving the office. This is more extreme than the UK, but you get the general idea - hours are long (think 80-100 hours a week).

Apologies if you have considered all this, however I felt it was important to mention as many people I speak to have a perception that IB is the be all and end all.

Oh and on reapplying, I know someone who dropped out of KCL last year and got in here to study PPP. Not that this is necessarily indicative, however it shows that they will give you serious consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjdcfc)
    IB is accessible from most degrees from Oxford so in that respect if you were to secure a place doing PPE you would be in a good position.

What are your motives for working in IB? This is important as most people are attracted to the money, without considering the sacrifices. Are you prepared to literally sacrifice your mid 20s working in IB. In a tutorial today my tutor was referring to friends working for GS HK who had stints of up to three weeks without leaving the office. This is more extreme than the UK, but you get the general idea - hours are long (think 80-100 hours a week).

Apologies if you have considered all this, however I felt it was important to mention as many people I speak to have a perception that IB is the be all and end all.

Oh and on reapplying, I know someone who dropped out of KCL last year and got in here to study PPP. Not that this is necessarily indicative, however it shows that they will give you serious consideration.

Thanks for your reply. I have weighed quite a lot of this up, and agree with what your saying.

Do you know what course the person who switched to PPP was studying at KCL?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.