Turn on thread page Beta

PPEists?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjdcfc)
    IB is accessible from most degrees from Oxford so in that respect if you were to secure a place doing PPE you would be in a good position.

What are your motives for working in IB? This is important as most people are attracted to the money, without considering the sacrifices. Are you prepared to literally sacrifice your mid 20s working in IB. In a tutorial today my tutor was referring to friends working for GS HK who had stints of up to three weeks without leaving the office. This is more extreme than the UK, but you get the general idea - hours are long (think 80-100 hours a week).

Apologies if you have considered all this, however I felt it was important to mention as many people I speak to have a perception that IB is the be all and end all.

Oh and on reapplying, I know someone who dropped out of KCL last year and got in here to study PPP. Not that this is necessarily indicative, however it shows that they will give you serious consideration.
    this is extremely misleading. there are very few departments (M&A, and maybe ECM and DCM in a very bad week) within IB that work those hours and everyone knows that. S&T people have good hours as long as you don't mind getting up early, as do people in asset management. in most cases its 60-70 max .

edit: i realize that an academic told you this. as you are a first year you should know that academics always overstate how much working in the private sector sucks, just as people in the private sector overstate how much working in academia sucks.

ReputationRep:
    OP just a bit of advice, make sure you get a strong reference for your ucas application, preferably from an academic tutor at your uni and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    this is extremely misleading. there are very few departments (M&A, and maybe ECM and DCM in a very bad week) within IB that work those hours and everyone knows that. S&T people have good hours as long as you don't mind getting up early, as do people in asset management. in most cases its 60-70 max .

edit: i realize that an academic told you this. as you are a first year you should know that academics always overstate how much working in the private sector sucks, just as people in the private sector overstate how much working in academia sucks.
    Oh yea I know that the example given was an extreme. I was referring mainly to M&A in what I was saying but didn't make that very clear.

For this very reason my aim is to work in S&T when I graduate. I know that I could deal with pressure far better than I could deal with outright time demands.

As you say, I am not in a particularly good position to make a judgement and offer advice, I can only rely on anecdotal evidence based on what I have been told and the things I have read. However, my main point was that it is important to give consideration to the working conditions as well as remuneration when considering working in IB. I know of people that stated that they wanted to work in IB ever since sixth form (often purely because of remuneration), and after one summer internship in M&A they claim that they never want to step foot in a bank again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjdcfc)
    Oh yea I know that the example given was an extreme. I was referring mainly to M&A in what I was saying but didn't make that very clear.

For this very reason my aim is to work in S&T when I graduate. I know that I could deal with pressure far better than I could deal with outright time demands.

As you say, I am not in a particularly good position to make a judgement and offer advice, I can only rely on anecdotal evidence based on what I have been told and the things I have read. However, my main point was that it is important to give consideration to the working conditions as well as remuneration when considering working in IB. I know of people that stated that they wanted to work in IB ever since sixth form (often purely because of remuneration), and after one summer internship in M&A they claim that they never want to step foot in a bank again.
    this amazes me, but you are right, it happens all the time. everyone is aware of the hours in IBD before they start and then after their first 100 hour week they want to kill themselves.

why does it come as so much of a surprise to so many people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    Thanks for your reply. I have weighed quite a lot of this up, and agree with what your saying.

Do you know what course the person who switched to PPP was studying at KCL?
    It was Maths with Philosophy at KCL. He dropped out after 2 weeks because he really didn't like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    this amazes me, but you are right, it happens all the time. everyone is aware of the hours in IBD before they start and then after their first 100 hour week they want to kill themselves.

why does it come as so much of a surprise to so many people?
    It might be caused by people overestimating their own tolerance of hard work etc. The get rich quick attitude is often prevalent. Initially people assume they can hack a few hard years if they see themselves retiring young or moving onto something less strenuous. When it actually comes down to it the lack of sleep/social life/family time will inevitably get to some people more than they would have expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Hate to take a **** on your fairytale, but you won't get into Oxford dawg
    quite possible considering only 1 in 5 applicants succeed, however the current course I am had 11 applicants per place.

Whilst I maycurrently be on an undergrad course and apply as a mature student, I cannot see why this would stand against me and you can say with such confidence that I will not get a place. I am wondering what your reasons for this view are?

Cheers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.