Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I Was Wondering If Anyone Can Help Me.
    Im Really Confused With The Who "Ucas Taraiff Points Thing.

What Grades Do I Need For...
    a). UCAS Tariff: 300 points including at least two full A levels
    And
    b). UCAS Tariff: 320 points from three A levels

I've Done My A-Levels.. And Didnt Do Too Good, I Got BCC
    Psychology C (377 Ucas Points)
    English Literature C (404 Ucas Points)
    Media Studes B (433 Ucas Points)

Please Help... Ive Sent My Application Off & I Think I've Made A HUGGGEEEEE Mistake

Thank You In Advance
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    how did you work out those UCAS points for your A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    I can't really see where you've got those points for your completed A Levels...

Can't you just check the UCAS website to see how much they're worth, then add them up to see if you meet the requirements?

ReputationRep:
    BCC = 260 points
    320 from three A Levels = ABB
    300 including at least two full A Levels = BBB/ ABC/ AAC/ AAa/ BBbb/ BCCc and various other combinations.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS points work in that each A-level grade gets a certain amount of points. I.e. A=120, B=100, C= 80 etc.

It is nothing to do with UMS marks.

If you have a B and two Cs at A-level already, you have 260 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leto)
    I can't really see where you've got those points for your completed A Levels...
    I think they've assumed UMS marks = UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosamund123)
    how did you work out those UCAS points for your A Levels?
    My tutor put my marks into his spreadsheet, looked at the percentages of each unit and gave me a bunch of numbers for each subject and said they were my ums points for each subject.

Ive applied for a course that requires like 320 points.. and I think I only qualify for about 260 points. But I don't know how to work it out??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Ah, right. Thanks for that, I was a bit confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Yeah Thats Exactly What I've Done I Think.. And Ive Sent Off My Application... And Have No Idea Who To Talk To About Changing My Course..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curious_729)
    Hey, I Was Wondering If Anyone Can Help Me.
    Im Really Confused With The Who "Ucas Taraiff Points Thing.

What Grades Do I Need For...
    a). UCAS Tariff: 300 points including at least two full A levels
    And
    b). UCAS Tariff: 320 points from three A levels

I've Done My A-Levels.. And Didnt Do Too Good, I Got BCC
    Psychology C (377 Ucas Points)
    English Literature C (404 Ucas Points)
    Media Studes B (433 Ucas Points)

Please Help... Ive Sent My Application Off & I Think I've Made A HUGGGEEEEE Mistake

Thank You In Advance
    xxx
    Okay the points you're talking about next to each subject are UMS marks. These have nothing to do with UCAS at all. They are simply the standardised version of your raw marks. Basically, they just show you how close you were to each grade boundary. For a 6 unit award, your A Levels, they were given a standardised mark so that they all added up, in total to 600. Your marks are given there - 377, 404 and 433. If you're interested, you needed 480 for an A, 420 for a B, and 360 for a C.
    In a completely different way, instead of asking for grades, many universities ask for UCAS points. These are NOT your UMS marks. These are relating to a given amount of points that they award for each grade. An A at A Level is worth 120 points, a B is 100, a C is 80, D is 60 and an E is 40. If you have a separate AS qualification, then you can add this on, and can get 60 for an A at AS, 50 for a B, 40 for a C, 30 for a D and 20 for an E. This means that, on your A Level grades alone of BCC, you got 260 UCAS points.
    Therefore, for a) 300 points you need to get BBB, or AAD, or ABC or any other combination of A Levels that gives you at least 300 points. For b) 320 points, you need AAC or ABB for example.
    You can get UCAS points for things other than your A Levels. These can include qualifications such as Key Skills, and Music Examinations. These can contribute to your total to push it up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becbec :))
    Okay the points you're talking about next to each subject are UMS marks. These have nothing to do with UCAS at all. They are simply the standardised version of your raw marks. Basically, they just show you how close you were to each grade boundary. For a 6 unit award, your A Levels, they were given a standardised mark so that they all added up, in total to 600. Your marks are given there - 377, 404 and 433. If you're interested, you needed 480 for an A, 420 for a B, and 360 for a C.
    In a completely different way, instead of asking for grades, many universities ask for UCAS points. These are NOT your UMS marks. These are relating to a given amount of points that they award for each grade. An A at A Level is worth 120 points, a B is 100, a C is 80, D is 60 and an E is 40. If you have a separate AS qualification, then you can add this on, and can get 60 for an A at AS, 50 for a B, 40 for a C, 30 for a D and 20 for an E. This means that, on your A Level grades alone of BCC, you got 260 UCAS points.
    Therefore, for a) 300 points you need to get BBB, or AAD, or ABC or any other combination of A Levels that gives you at least 300 points. For b) 320 points, you need AAC or ABB for example.
    You can get UCAS points for things other than your A Levels. These can include qualifications such as Key Skills, and Music Examinations. These can contribute to your total to push it up a bit.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Big Help =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.