Turn on thread page Beta

Ideal length of post-grad personal statement? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please be so kind as to tell me what the ideal length of a taught post-grad personal statement? The vague indications on application sheets seem to vary from uni to uni.

I'm doing my application for UCL at the moment; under 'Supporting Statement', on their application form, it says: "describe your academic interests and reasons for applying...[...] continue on a separate sheet if required". Their FAQ states: "You are advised to keep your text to a page". What font type and size are they assuming you will use?

Would typing it up using Times New Roman, font size 12, and aiming for about 700 words be okay?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bradman)
    Would typing it up using Times New Roman, font size 12, and aiming for about 700 words be okay?

Thanks!
    Yes, but make sure to use single spacing when writing your statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bradman)
    Could someone please be so kind as to tell me what the ideal length of a taught post-grad personal statement (Management-related course)? The vague indications on application sheets seem to vary from uni to uni.

I'm doing my application for UCL at the moment; under 'Supporting Statement', on their application form, it says: "describe your academic interests and reasons for applying...[...] continue on a separate sheet if required". Their FAQ states: "You are advised to keep your text to a page". What font type and size are they assuming you will use?

Thanks!
    Most of my PS were about a page and 700 words so you'll be fine!
    The only one I did slightly longer was LSE (because they state 1000-1500)

ReputationRep:
    I did a slightly longer statement for my Oxford application (1015 words), while the rest ranged from 673 to 856 words; the actual structure and content of each statement was the same, ironically.

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks a lot guys! I'll aim for one page of approx. 700-850 words then, seems sensible. Yes, LSE's request of 2-3 sides did confuse me a little when I compared it to other universities' of similar standard. But it seems LSE want to be different, I guess; or it is just very competitive.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.