Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A Level Biology External Candidate Course Work Or Exam? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been doing a distance learning Fast Track A Level in Biology and have to organise my exams and course work as an external candidate. I live in Central America at the moment but will travel to the uk in January 2011 to take my exams. My problem is extreme confusion over course work and external moderators. My tutor has suggested that as an international student i can do extra exams instead of course work and refered me to the edexcel private candidate handbook, which is very unhelpful. I e-mailed edexcel directly to ask them about the course work vs exam issue saying that the handbook was less than helpful and they refered me to the handbook for further help. Can someone please tell me if i can, as a student living abroad and only able to get to the uk once a year, do extra exams instead of Biology course work or is this just a cruel myth perpetrated by my tutor for her own mischeifious ends? and if so how do i go about finding an external moderator for course work. PLEASE do not refer me to a handbook!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valentina46)
    I have been doing a distance learning Fast Track A Level in Biology and have to organise my exams and course work as an external candidate. I live in Central America at the moment but will travel to the uk in January 2011 to take my exams. My problem is extreme confusion over course work and external moderators. My tutor has suggested that as an international student i can do extra exams instead of course work and refered me to the edexcel private candidate handbook, which is very unhelpful. I e-mailed edexcel directly to ask them about the course work vs exam issue saying that the handbook was less than helpful and they refered me to the handbook for further help. Can someone please tell me if i can, as a student living abroad and only able to get to the uk once a year, do extra exams instead of Biology course work or is this just a cruel myth perpetrated by my tutor for her own mischeifious ends? and if so how do i go about finding an external moderator for course work. PLEASE do not refer me to a handbook!!
    Who did you email?
    [email protected]

The full specification and other resources are here, there is no coursework assessment but normally there's AS and A2 practicals.
    http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx

The additional specific information for international centres that explains the alternative to practicals is here
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...ec-Biology.pdf

I don't think that you'll find anywhere in UK offering these alternatives as UK students aren't eligible to take them. The British Council assists students to take UK A level exams in the country where you live.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/learni...ke-an-exam.htm

ReputationRep:
    could you post the handbook please?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. So bottom line, if i want to take my exams back in the uk, i'm going to have to do coursework?

This is the page with the Private Candidate Handbook. http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/private.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. So bottom line, if i want to take my exams back in the uk, i'm going to have to do coursework?

This is the page with the Private Candidate Handbook. http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/private.aspx
    There is no assessed course work

There are practical exams for UK based students

ReputationRep:
    Hi Valentina - I'm in exactly the same position as you, or will be next year, so I'm just wondering: what did you go for in the end?? I'm thinking coursework, just to have fewer exams...but then I have to 'authenticate' it and all that, it seems quite complicated - how did you get on?

ReputationRep:
    Can som1 plz tell me which center in london does biology practicles for private A-level candidates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thami_shan)
    Can som1 plz tell me which center in london does biology practicles for private A-level candidates?
    You can do them through a distance learning company ,or do the intenational paper instead.Are you studying by corespondence?

Try to contact these:

Abbotsfield School for Boys
    addresss : Clifton Gardens Hillingdon Uxbridge
    UB10 0EX

Phone:01895 237350

Campbell Harris Tutors Ltd - 10107
    address: 185 Kensington High Street London
    W8 6SH

Phone:020 7937 0032

person to contact : Mark Harris

Cranford Community College - 13116

Address:High Street Cranford Hounslow
    TW4 9PD

Phone:0208 283 4383

person to contact: Robin Walton

David Game College - 10114

Address: David Game House 69 Notting Hill Gate London
    W11 3JS

Phone:020 7221 6665

person to contact:Mr Khan

Dean College of London - 10311

Address: 97-101 Seven Sisters Road London
    N7 7QP

Phone:020 7281 4461

Person to contact:Exams Dept

Greenford High School

Lady Margaret Road Southall
    UB1 2GU

020 8578 9152

[email protected]

Kidbrook School

Blackheath London
    SE3

Contact Richard Cleall email: [email protected] uk

The LVMT Business School - 10545

75a Greenfield Road, Aldgate East. London
    E1 1EQ

020 7456 9060

Drayton Manor High School - 12416

Drayton Bridge Road, London
    W7 1EU

Phone :020 8357 1900

*This is for Edexcel btw*

If that doesn t work ,contact Edexcel or if you have a tutor/the correspondence company should be a ble to help you out.

If you are with NEC you can find the complete list here after you log in http://www.nec.ac.uk/groups/alevel-s...exam_body_id=3

ReputationRep:
    hi i need to do resit as an external candidate in a level biology and chemistry AQA specB am living in manchester please let me know which college in manchester accept external student. Thanx alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_habib)
    hi i need to do resit as an external candidate in a level biology and chemistry AQA specB am living in manchester please let me know which college in manchester accept external student. Thanx alot
    I don t have the time right now to copy & paste all the info so either you can write to AQA or check with the company you do Distance learning with,
    Sorry

ReputationRep:
    here s one
    The Middleton Technology School

Kenyon Lane Manchester
    M24 2GT

Phone : 0161 6435116

[email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hissyfit)
    I don t have the time right now to copy & paste all the info so either you can write to AQA or check with the company you do Distance learning with,
    Sorry
    i've finished my a level this june and got results in august which am not happy with it in manchester college.tx

ReputationRep:
    Try the one I posted & see then pm me if they don t accept you,or email AQA & ask them.
    Otherwise I don t really understand what you are saying about Manchester college?

ReputationRep:
    Try the one I posted & see then pm me if they don t accept you,or email AQA & ask them.
    Otherwise I don t really understand what you are saying about Manchester college?
    manchester college(in northenden campus) is the college where i did my a level 4m sept 2008 to june 2010 i asked them today if they accept external candidate they said they dont. Thanx 4 your help.

ReputationRep:
    manchester college(in northenden campus) is the college where i did my a level 4m sept 2008 to june 2010 i asked them today if they accept external candidate they said they dont. Thanx 4 your help.

ReputationRep:
    Ok ,emmm to tell you the truth I don t really get if you did try the college that I posted up or what you are talking about :confused: ,
    I ll post the 2 others on the list now & hopefully you will be able to pass your exams there,otherwise if none accept you I strongly recommend you to email AQA.

Littlemoss High School

Cryer Street Droylsden Manchester
    M43 7LF

0161 370� 3334

Etz Chaim School

The Belmont 89 Middleton Road Manchester
    M8 4JY

0161 740 6800

*Please note I do not live in the UK & have practically no knowledge of the geography of the UK ,how shameful that may be.*
    I hope that helps you out as that is all I have.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.