Turn on thread page Beta

What is the risk in renting with having little saved? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, i've been thinking about moving out after I graduate and wanted to know what the risks were in renting a house/flat with having very little saved.

I've figured that if i can get a job after graduation and have saved up 2 months rent as a deposit, this would be enough for me to rent a place and also still have money coming in each month.

However, id like to know what the risk would be other than losing my job if it came to that.

Also i would be living with my girlfriend who already has a job but i would be paying for stuff like rent and food whilst she save's up.

ReputationRep:
    WHy would you pay rent and food while your girlfriend is saving up? Just wondering..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOBO777)
    Hiya, i've been thinking about moving out after I graduate and wanted to know what the risks were in renting a house/flat with having very little saved.

I've figured that if i can get a job after graduation and have saved up 2 months rent as a deposit, this would be enough for me to rent a place and also still have money coming in each month.

However, id like to know what the risk would be other than losing my job if it came to that.

Also i would be living with my girlfriend who already has a job but i would be paying for stuff like rent and food whilst she save's up.
    easier said than done these days. i'd get a job first to have a bit of security, then start renting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvilSheep)
    WHy would you pay rent and food while your girlfriend is saving up? Just wondering..
    My girlfriend has a pretty good job and were hoping we can actually buy a place of our own.

And it's always been that i tend to pay for food whenever we eat in or out. I cook quite a lot as well, she's pretty hopeless at that. Don't know why really.

As for the job, i've already been told by my boss from my summer job that he'd be happy for me to go permanent once i graduate providing i pop in once a month to see how things at the company are going.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm.. Maybe you could both chip in with the rent and food for the first couple of months? Then afterwards you could start saving for a house?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.