Turn on thread page Beta

Advice needed - Does the girl like me or is she just being friendly? watch

Okay I have a bit of an issue and would like some objective advice.

I have met someone who I think I really like. I can't say I have ever felt like this before about anyone but I am confused as I am not too sure how she feels. I am terrible at reading signals from people and I don't have the courage to simply ask her.

Things have been friendly between us since we met last year (we work together) and I find her easy to talk to and the conversation flows but we never really get any time to chat alone.

I'm not sure whether I am perceiving her friendliness as more than it is. I went to her department today to get something but it wasn't there. She went out of her way (beyond what is expected of her) to get it for me then when she emailed to say she had it, she called me by a nickname she seems to have made up for me.

I'm not terribly experienced in these things, in fact I have never felt the need for a relationship until now. I have been much more focussed on my career and work really has consumed my life for the past few years. My head tells me that if this girl did even feel the same way it would be silly to even contemplate a relationship as I am unsure that I would be able to meet the demands it requires, whereas my heart says the opposite. I can't say that I have ever felt this way before. It sure is confusing.

I usually go with the thought that if you think you should do something then you should just go ahead and do it but I guess the fear of being rejected or making a fool out of myself is a little scary. Perhaps I would be a bigger fool for letting the opportunity pass by.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds as though she likes you as a person perhaps just as friends material. Do you know how she behaves towards other people at your work?

ReputationRep:
    Well if you don't ask her you'll never know. But keep the hopes low, women can be strange in these situations :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am terrible at reading signals.
    I have the same problem with my wireless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James')
    I have the same problem with my wireless.
    I find that aspect doesn't really get better with experience but experience does give a little more confidence.

Thanks for the replies so far. I do appreciate it. I'm still at a bit of a loss as to what to do.
    I'm thinking it perhaps is safer not to ask her and keep it friendly. At least I will have gained an amazing friend if nothing else. The idea of asking and being rejected because I misread the signals just completely scares me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.