Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've recently sliced my thumb with a stanley knife. It hasn't gone right through, but I went to the hospital and they told me not to use that hand, also don't hesitate to go to the Doctor's if it hurts again ( like it is now ) and the damage it somewhat bad, if it went deeper I would have lost a nerve.

I didn't get/ask for a note from the hospital to say what has happened, but I'm due to work on Saturday (8 hours shift at Tesco, checkouts and filling shelves ) Do you think they will pay me if I provide a doctors note. Do you think my doctor will even give me a note?

I've never been off sick before, so I don't know what they class as ' sick ' and I'm not sure of my sickpay...

I can't do anything without it hurting, but I fear that because I took last week off work for Uni related work, they are giving me a disciplinary and they might think that I've ' done it on purpose ' I don't know, that's just they feeling I get, and no I did not do it on purpose, I need my hands to make model ( architecture course )

Thanks for your input !

ReputationRep:
    Chances are your part-time contract wont allow sickpay.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not have a written contract of employment? And an employer can't sack you for accusing you of 'cutting your hand with a stanley knife on purpose'.

ReputationRep:
    I missed a week from my part time job because I had a kidney infection - I got a note from the doctor and didn't get sick pay :mad: they've never shown me my contract of employment so I have no idea whether I'm entitled to it or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    I missed a week from my part time job because I had a kidney infection - I got a note from the doctor and didn't get sick pay :mad: they've never shown me my contract of employment so I have no idea whether I'm entitled to it or not!
    If you are an employee who has been employed for longer than one month, you should receive a ‘written statement of employment particulars’. Your employer has a duty to give you this within two months of you starting work.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ions/DG_175704

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    If you are an employee who has been employed for longer than one month, you should receive a ‘written statement of employment particulars’. Your employer has a duty to give you this within two months of you starting work.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ions/DG_175704
    *storms back to work and demands contract*

ReputationRep:
    *storms back to work and demands contract*
    lol hope I've helped! A lot of employers take advantage of the fact that their employees don't know their rights, or not until its too late to be able to use them. Don't be one of those people! Always make sure you have a contract stating the terms of work you've agreed to, that way you'll know what to expect from yourself, your employer, and what will happen and what you can do if things go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    hi, i work at sainsburys part time (12 hours p/week) and because i've been there over a year, about 3 now (argh), i do get sick pay, but their disciplinary process if quite strict, and it's frowned upon to have more than 3 sick days every 6 months. you're not legally obliged to provide a doctors' note- this seems to be such a crappy rule that has been around for years! the only time you would need one is if you have been off for more than a week continuously, and this would apply more if you work full time. if they don't believe you, i'm sure they'd love to see your sliced hand! if you are worried about missing work, why not ring up and talk to your department manager and see if they can work something around you? we had a guy at work who had had surgery on his knee and he is normally a supervisor so needs to be on his feet- he was fit to work, so simply asked to be put on checkouts. or why not just turn up for your shift as normal and tell them when you arrive? they can't be angry as you have turned up for your shift, and i'm sure you'd be able to stack some shelves where the lighter things are such as crisps and cakes and things? hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    lol hope I've helped! A lot of employers take advantage of the fact that their employees don't know their rights, or not until its too late to be able to use them. Don't be one of those people! Always make sure you have a contract stating the terms of work you've agreed to, that way you'll know what to expect from yourself, your employer, and what will happen and what you can do if things go wrong.
    actually I've heard from another person who works with me that the notice period is 4 weeks - but I haven't had my contract and so have not been officially informed...soo...does it mean I can just resign without notice and if they say no, say that I never signed a contract and haven't been shown it?

ReputationRep:
    actually I've heard from another person who works with me that the notice period is 4 weeks - but I haven't had my contract and so have not been officially informed...soo...does it mean I can just resign without notice and if they say no, say that I never signed a contract and haven't been shown it?
    According to statute, you can't.

If you have worked for your employer for one month or more, the legal minimum amount of notice you must give is one week.

Normally your employment contract will set out a longer notice period. If it does, you should give this length of notice to your employer. If your employer states a length of notice period, demand your written terms to be sure of this. You should ask for these before this or any situation arises anyway.

If your employment contract does not set out a notice period you should give a reasonable period of notice to your employer. This is included in your employment contract as what is known as an ‘implied term’. What is 'reasonable' will depend on your seniority and how long you have worked there.

ReputationRep:
    i work part time (im only on a 4 hour contract even though i work way more!) and we dont get sick pay especially if you only work a weekend and have one weekend off and are back for the next i think you get like 4 days unpaid the 4 days paid something weird like that!!
    iv never seen my contract either!!! got a shock when i had to use a weeks holiday for christmas day ! were not even open on christmas day !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    hi, i work at sainsburys part time (12 hours p/week) and because i've been there over a year, about 3 now (argh), i do get sick pay, but their disciplinary process if quite strict, and it's frowned upon to have more than 3 sick days every 6 months. you're not legally obliged to provide a doctors' note- this seems to be such a crappy rule that has been around for years! the only time you would need one is if you have been off for more than a week continuously, and this would apply more if you work full time. if they don't believe you, i'm sure they'd love to see your sliced hand! if you are worried about missing work, why not ring up and talk to your department manager and see if they can work something around you? we had a guy at work who had had surgery on his knee and he is normally a supervisor so needs to be on his feet- he was fit to work, so simply asked to be put on checkouts. or why not just turn up for your shift as normal and tell them when you arrive? they can't be angry as you have turned up for your shift, and i'm sure you'd be able to stack some shelves where the lighter things are such as crisps and cakes and things? hope this helps!
    Well when I told them I was il 8 months ago they told me I won't get paid... I've only been ill once in 18 months... I understand what your saying... I could do lighter work but then if I pull the skin and it gets worse, can I blame tesco or would they be liable... I'm just thinking that they won't want a injured employee with a bloody hand ( yes it still hasn't stop bleeding) handling food. I will ring them tomorrow and see what they say, but I'm not sure if ' self injury' is classed as ill... Swine flu however is classed as ill... I'm just worried that they wil take the nasty tone with me again and say " No, you have to come in, we need you, it's busy, you know what it's like", which is what they said last week... They shouldn't really rely on just one more employee, at least if I ring tomorrow, they can have someone cover my shift? Ugh, I'm dreading going back... I could do with a month off to do more uni work ( I'm still getting minimum grades, but I want higher grades ! )

Do you think I should physically go in and tell them, or is a phone call acceptable in the 21st Century ?

Thanks for all your comments, they are very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    According to statute, you can't.

If you have worked for your employer for one month or more, the legal minimum amount of notice you must give is one week.

Normally your employment contract will set out a longer notice period. If it does, you should give this length of notice to your employer. If your employer states a length of notice period, demand your written terms to be sure of this. You should ask for these before this or any situation arises anyway.

If your employment contract does not set out a notice period you should give a reasonable period of notice to your employer. This is included in your employment contract as what is known as an ‘implied term’. What is 'reasonable' will depend on your seniority and how long you have worked there.
    the thing is I never signed a contract of employment - I know about the one week minimum technically from another job, but seeing as I haven't actually signed or seen a contract, is this the maximum they can ask for? I'm a lowly sales consultant for next and I've worked there since mid september...

ReputationRep:
    the thing is I never signed a contract of employment - I know about the one week minimum technically from another job, but seeing as I haven't actually signed or seen a contract, is this the maximum they can ask for? I'm a lowly sales consultant for next and I've worked there since mid september...
    I'm afraid you most definitely can't avoid terms of employment implied by statute, whether or not you have a signed/unsigned contract.

And even if you hadn't signed your contract, the courts hypothetcially in your case will most likely say that the contract is implied by your conduct of working there under your employer's direction (and such a contract, as long as the terms are reasonable, would be enforceable).

ReputationRep:
    I've just rung Tesco and they said thats fine. They asked if I can be on the back which means answering ' red light ' on checkouts if someone needs something, but that could entail me moving/carrying large items etc or help packing. They told me I won't be paid because it needs to be 4 days after injury i.e I rung today, I only work saturdays so thats 8 days. If I worked on Tuesday I would get paid... Kinda disappointing, now I lost even more money but I can work on my Uni work now... CAD.

Thanks all.

ReputationRep:
    just ring them, explain your situation- if you don't want a confrontational chat with your department manager do you not have a basic sickline that you can ring and explain to them? they're normally answered by the girls in personnel who are normally bit more sympathetic than the managers on a power trip. try that and see what they say- they will probably tell you to take the time off as required, and if it turns out you need a week off get a doctor's note. you have already been advised to take time off by the doctor? i think that and your health is more important that a part time job in a supermarket! if you are worried they will dismiss you, they won't- it would lead to an unfair dismissal which you would be able to protest quite easily. i think you're worrying more than you should, and should just give them a couple days' notice and let them know- that way you haven't left them trying to find someone to cover your shift with only a few hours notice!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.