Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have been having blurred vision at times. I wear glasses for driving only(long distance) The blurred vision isn't all the time, it comes and goes. I think it's been going on for a couple months can't be sure though! Normally happens when I'm at work, it's very very hot and I do a lot of walking up and down stairs etc..
    I did just think it was my eyesight getting worse at first but its not all the time! I normally notice it when a person is further away from me, I look up and I can't see their face properly its like just blob of colour and can't see their eyes,nose etc.. and I normally have to look down straight away and pretend to do something because It makes me feel quite lightheaded and sometimes lose my balance, had to go to the toilet one time and just hold on to the door because i felt very lightheaded almost like I was going to faint. Could it be to do with the heat?
    I also find it incredibly hard to concentrate and constantly go into daydreams were I just stare. I've had a few other symptoms too lately but I don't know if they are all connected.

What do you think this could be?

ReputationRep:
    It makes me think of ocular migraines http://www.allaboutvision.com/condit...r-migraine.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been having blurred vision at times. I wear glasses for driving only(long distance) The blurred vision isn't all the time, it comes and goes. I think it's been going on for a couple months can't be sure though! Normally happens when I'm at work, it's very very hot and I do a lot of walking up and down stairs etc..
    I did just think it was my eyesight getting worse at first but its not all the time! I normally notice it when a person is further away from me, I look up and I can't see their face properly its like just blob of colour and can't see their eyes,nose etc.. and I normally have to look down straight away and pretend to do something because It makes me feel quite lightheaded and sometimes lose my balance, had to go to the toilet one time and just hold on to the door because i felt very lightheaded almost like I was going to faint. Could it be to do with the heat?
    I also find it incredibly hard to concentrate and constantly go into daydreams were I just stare. I've had a few other symptoms too lately but I don't know if they are all connected.

What are the other symptoms like?

ReputationRep:

Could be all sorts of things.

One thing it isn't is something that you'll get sorted by asking people here.

Go to your doctor.

(Original post by Anatheme)
    It makes me think of ocular migraines http://www.allaboutvision.com/condit...r-migraine.htm
    People with ocular migraines can have a variety of visual symptoms. Typically you will see a small, enlarging blind spot (scotoma) in your central vision with bright, flickering lights (scintillations) or a shimmering zig-zag line (metamorphopsia) inside the blind spot. The blind spot usually enlarges and may move across your field of vision. This entire migraine phenomenon may end in only a few minutes, but usually lasts as long as about 20-30 minutes.

I've read through and doesn't really sound like my symptoms though, I don't see any kind of spot.

ReputationRep:
    People with ocular migraines can have a variety of visual symptoms. Typically you will see a small, enlarging blind spot (scotoma) in your central vision with bright, flickering lights (scintillations) or a shimmering zig-zag line (metamorphopsia) inside the blind spot. The blind spot usually enlarges and may move across your field of vision. This entire migraine phenomenon may end in only a few minutes, but usually lasts as long as about 20-30 minutes.

I've read through and doesn't really sound like my symptoms though, I don't see any kind of spot.
    Best check with your GP, tbh, unless you're keen enough to Wikipedia your symptoms until you find something that matches your description

(Original post by xelarose)
    What are the other symptoms like?
    Well duno if they are anything at all to do with it...The other day in work I had a really sharp pain at the top part of my head for a few mins. I had to hold it, my manager asked if I was ok and told me to sit down/go outside for fresh air! And it seemed fine after that!

My eyes are very sensitive to light, they hurt when there's bright lights on in the room. I keep switching lights off and sitting in dim light/darkness.

(Original post by RadioElectric)
    Could be all sorts of things.

One thing it isn't is something that you'll get sorted by asking people here.

Go to your doctor.

I will but just wanted to know if it was worth going to doctor about. And didn't know whether its best to see an optician rather than a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    I will but just wanted to know if it was worth going to doctor about. And didn't know whether its best to see an optician rather than a doctor?
    See, opticians are supposed to have knowledge of these things, but I never really got the impression they were people you visited if you were having a sight problem (other than wanting new glasses). It was more important they knew this stuff so that they could refer you to a doctor if you mentioned it in an eye test and it was something serious.

I'd go to a doctor personally, as they're more of the "patient presents illness -> must treat illness" skillset.

Either way, you'll probably get referred to an opthalmologist if it's worth following up.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you go see your doctor, they can advice you on whether you should see an optician? I think it would be best to see your doctor first though?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.