Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what factors did you take into account choosing the training provider you applied to?
    I'm thinking of applying for PGCE in London and am wondering whether reputation of the uni really makes that much of a difference when it comes to looking for a future job?
    The training is standarized, apparently, so theoretically it shouldn't matter if one gets qualification from IoE or Uni of East London, right? what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I needed to be in London, and I reviewed the Ofsted ratings and looked at each university as a whole. My choices were KCL, IoE, UEL and London Met. I put KCL first for overall reputation, location and student feedback. Reputation was important as I plan to complete a masters and a PhD. I seriously considered UEL as they have a high Ofsted rating and a high employment rate; I would've gone with them first if I was planning to stop at the PGCE or Masters.

It really is a personal issue. There are many things that will factor into your decision. Best of luck with it all.

ReputationRep:
    I had practically no choice whatsoever...
    I had to stay in London... and do PGCE Primary with German...
    I was left with Kingston and Goldsmiths
    Kingston was 2nd in the Guardian's league tables this year so I'm pretty lucky I got in^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna_mnie)
    what factors did you take into account choosing the training provider you applied to?
    I'm thinking of applying for PGCE in London and am wondering whether reputation of the uni really makes that much of a difference when it comes to looking for a future job?
    The training is standarized, apparently, so theoretically it shouldn't matter if one gets qualification from IoE or Uni of East London, right? what do you think?
    Hi,
    I think that the grade you achieve in the PGCE, and the references that you build doing your work exp. will have a far higher impact than what university you earned your degree at.

What do you wanna teach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    Hi,
    I think that the grade you achieve in the PGCE, and the references that you build doing your work exp. will have a far higher impact than what university you earned your degree at.

What do you wanna teach?
    I'm doing an English PGCE at KCL. Yes, I'm aware that your marks and references are just as important, if not more so (My undergrad degree didn't exactly come from a top ranked uni). I didn't just base my choice on a table, I based it on many thing . . . rankings, location, reputation, faculty, students, . . . I asked around on many forums and chatted with current and former PGCE, undergrad and postgrad students. I really wanted to apply to Oxford, but I couldn't afford the extra dosh (I'm non-EU and haven't been residing within the EU long enough for EU fees (I've been in Ireland for 2 years with my partner who is an EU national). I had lots to think about. The fees at KCL aren't too bad, and there are a few scholarships that I can apply for that should cover up to 3/4ths of my fees.

I spent about a month deciding the order of the unis. I seriously considered putting UEL first, but then changes my mind. I also considered Durhum and Exeter, but wanted opted for London because it would be easier for my partner to find jobs in multimedia development. So, as you can see, lots of things to think about.

Also, I know I want to do a PhD, but I'm not sure what yet if I'll do it education or Literature. We'll see. I'll teach for about 3-5 years in a secondary school before making that decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1tsun3)
    I'm doing an English PGCE at KCL. Yes, I'm aware that your marks and references are just as important, if not more so (My undergrad degree didn't exactly come from a top ranked uni). I didn't just base my choice on a table, I based it on many thing . . . rankings, location, reputation, faculty, students, . . . I asked around on many forums and chatted with current and former PGCE, undergrad and postgrad students. I really wanted to apply to Oxford, but I couldn't afford the extra dosh (I'm non-EU and haven't been residing within the EU long enough for EU fees (I've been in Ireland for 2 years with my partner who is an EU national). I had lots to think about. The fees at KCL aren't too bad, and there are a few scholarships that I can apply for that should cover up to 3/4ths of my fees.

I spent about a month deciding the order of the unis. I seriously considered putting UEL first, but then changes my mind. I also considered Durhum and Exeter, but wanted opted for London because it would be easier for my partner to find jobs in multimedia development. So, as you can see, lots of things to think about.

Also, I know I want to do a PhD, but I'm not sure what yet if I'll do it education or Literature. We'll see. I'll teach for about 3-5 years in a secondary school before making that decision.
    My girlfriend is in her second year of an Education undergrad at UEL at the moment. She chose UEL because the PGCE there is supposed to be quite good and offers good job propsects, but the added bonus that she has is that shes been involved in brownies and guides for years.

Do you have any extra-curriculars where you work with children? If you don't, it might be an idea to take something up - volunteering at schools, brownies and guides, volunteering at a youth centre - that kind of thing.

The PhD thing may be a good idea as well - a lecturer will get a higher wage than a teacher, and probably works about half as much

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the Ofsted reports and the courses (there are some minor variations between different places) and thought about where I wanted to live. I was keen to stay in the south to be close-ish (but not too close...) to my family, and also because the job prospects appear to be better in the south for teachers (more vacancies).

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.