Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Observations before PGCE Interview watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any experiences of the following that they are willing to share?

1.The different types of 'talk' that go on in classrooms and the purposes of them.

2.How teachers check the understanding of pupils.

3.The ways activities are designed to meet the individual needs of learners.

Any examples or ideas are welcome!

Thanks!

MRST
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mr Student)
    Does anyone have any experiences of the following that they are willing to share?

1.The different types of 'talk' that go on in classrooms and the purposes of them.

2.How teachers check the understanding of pupils.

3.The ways activities are designed to meet the individual needs of learners.

Any examples or ideas are welcome!

Thanks!

MRST
    You need to go and do some observations and look out for these things yourself.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

If you observe in a classroom with those questions in mind you should (hopefully!!) start to see the answers.

ReputationRep:
    When you get to interview this is something they will expect you to reflect upon from YOUR own experiences and what you have witnessed in the classroom and why it was/wasnt effective etc.

ReputationRep:
    You've got to love how blatant this is...'hey guys, I'm too lazy to go to a school myself, help!'

ReputationRep:
    I was just looking for points to compare and contrast with my own observations: 'However, other people that I have spoken to on this subject found that ... '

One of my intentions, for example, was to explain how my own experiences of visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning styles differ from those of other people to demonstrate that learning is often a unique process, and that we cannot make judgements about learning based solely on our own experiences. A form of secondary research, if you will?

I appreciate how this must seem to you all, but can we just forget I asked?

Cheers, and all the best!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, at interview I think they want to know what you have observed, and why your experience has made you want to teach rather than other peoples' opinions. Of course, this is just my experience of one interview at one university, but that was definitely the impression that I got.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mr Student)
    I was just looking for points to compare and contrast with my own observations: 'However, other people that I have spoken to on this subject found that ... '

One of my intentions, for example, was to explain how my own experiences of visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning styles differ from those of other people to demonstrate that learning is often a unique process, and that we cannot make judgements about learning based solely on our own experiences. A form of secondary research, if you will?

I appreciate how this must seem to you all, but can we just forget I asked?

Cheers, and all the best!
    As River said, you must just talk about your experience. Certainly don't bring any VAK drivel into it unless you want to see eyes roll.

ReputationRep:
    I agree I really dont think they want to hear someone elses opinions. They are interviewing you and what to know what youv already seen in practice. Have they asked you to talk about a particular subject as you mention the vak they might not necessarily ask you about that.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.