Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long do you generally spend doing school work a night? For A Levels watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just curious how long everyone spends doing work on a weekday/weekend for A Levels, this can include coursework/homework/revision?
    Including school/college, how much does that equal in a day?

ReputationRep:
    I have really intense periods of work and then really lazy periods where I do very little. No need to set out a timetable, just learn that **** and pass!

ReputationRep:
    nothing all year maybe an hour a week but then about 8 hours a day 2 weeks before an exam

ReputationRep:
    I only did the homework, but I wasn't committed, e.g. if I knew I was going to write over 2 pages in English I'd just write really crap just so I had to print 2 pieces of paper, until I had exams. During the Christmas break, I would do like 4 hours a day of revision... same for during the summer study leave.

However, since coming to a new college, I've been committed to work and completed it properly. When it came to exams, I'd do the same as before, but also made revision notes.

ReputationRep:
    Like, an hour a night. Six-seven hours a night for prelims and exams. Effort is so fecking difficult to come by.

ReputationRep:
    nothing.
    i usually do everything a matter of hours/minutes before it's due
    although coursework and exams are the only stuff I will really work on

ReputationRep:
    Little to no work. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I do alot more work then what seems like the majority then.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. Homework I do in frees, revision I do a few days before the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I work solidly through all my frees and break/lunch times during the school week and (touch wood) that is generally sufficient to get most work done. I may spend about an hour every week night working aswell if necessary. I have to do more than this at weekends - probably 3/4hours+ on Sundays (usually I try to keep Saturdays as a day off). It is thankfully not too bad at all in my opinion - I find the workload much more manageable than GCSE, and frees are a God-send!

ReputationRep:
    About 20 minutes. Though that is an average; most days I do nothing :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I have next to no frees
    If I've got an essay/coursework thing due I might do about 4 hours a day, but if it's not important i.e. a rubbish homework, I do the bare minimum to complete it. I am doing 4 A2s and an AS though.

ReputationRep:
    I do everything between 1am and 7am on Sunday nights. It's actually quite a good system.

ReputationRep:
    Rarely got anything of much substance done during frees at school, who does?!

At night, I'd do about 1-2 pieces of homework (usually the ones in for the next day) that I tried to fly through in 30 mins to an hour.

For exams I would start frantic revision a day or two before, but it was never that necessary. I maybe did 4-5 hours revision in total for each of my subjects, most of it was still there from learning it in lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Hey, just curious how long everyone spends doing work on a weekday/weekend for A Levels, this can include coursework/homework/revision?
    Including school/college, how much does that equal in a day?
    Doing A2s,
    I work in 90% of my frees, and the occasional lunchtime.
    I do about an hour a night at home on average during the year; at my school I get set maybe 2 essays a week+about 20 pages extra reading and some small assignments...

When theres coursework on the go I generally finish it ASAP like over 3 days, doing 2.5 hours a night.

Exam time=7-8 hours on weekends, 3-4 on weekdays at home.

Plus I make a point of reading 1-2 hours a night of things I'm interested in which apply to my uni course as well.

ReputationRep:
    If I haven't got exams or anything i might spend up to 4 hours in a week working but I try to do as much as possible in frees.
    If I've got exams then I'll probably do a couple of hours a night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    I have next to no frees
    If I've got an essay/coursework thing due I might do about 4 hours a day, but if it's not important i.e. a rubbish homework, I do the bare minimum to complete it. I am doing 4 A2s and an AS though.
    Woahh.... i dont know how you handle all them lesson's i do law, geography + history and i thought i did alot of work, all my spare time is spend doing work and theres always things to be done i coulnt imagine having another 2 lessons on top - i need all my frees lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    About 20 minutes. Though that is an average; most days I do nothing :ninja:
    This

ReputationRep:
    I don't really work in my frees xD but i do art, photography, geography and french so try beating that workload guys! im literally working from when i come home to like 10 with about 1/2 hours break each night xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-evelyn-x)
    Woahh.... i dont know how you handle all them lesson's i do law, geography + history and i thought i did alot of work, all my spare time is spend doing work and theres always things to be done i coulnt imagine having another 2 lessons on top - i need all my frees lol
    I do history as well, there's always more stuff I could be doing for that like extra reading to help me understand but I'm not great at doing extra work when I've got so much compulsory stuff to do. Biology AS is very easy, apart from this time consuming coursework, likewise for Chemistry, I get by in maths and further maths. Like I said though, I wish I had frees! I never get a lie in and can't even think about doing all my work in my one free a week

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.