Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

feel guilty about wanting alone time watch

Announcements

I just feel so guilty about this...

I want time alone in my house and when my family are home. I mean I love them but enjoy my alone time more. Its cutting me up inside becuase I love them and want to spend time with them but like my own time.

what the ***** wrong with me

ReputationRep:
    loner :rolleyes:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Congratulations, you're normal. Everyone needs some peace and quiet sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing's wrong with you. Many people, such as myself, like a little time on their own. Nothing strange about it.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just adjurn to your room? Move out? Otherwise you will just need to put up with it, after all its not just your home its their house.

OP I'm exactly the same. Even when I've come back from uni and haven't seen my family in a while I still like to retreat with food and something on the telly to watch on my own. You're normal, trust me, everyone likes their alone time.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, believe me. I mean I personally can't wait to have the house all to myself but I'm different to you I'm guessing - I don't have a close relationship with any of my family. I'm not sure how to explain it but it's perfectly natural

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I thought this was going to be about something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x y z)
    Lol, I thought this was going to be about something else.
    I'm guessing having a ****?

I don't kniow why you feel guilty OP, being alone can be wonderful every now and then and that comes from someone who gets bored after 20 minutes of being alone.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing's wrong with you! :lolwut: Either just go for it, or say 'I'm just gonna hang out in my room for a bit, but I'll be down for Eastenders/some other show'.

ReputationRep:
    You aren't alone, my family constantly want me to spend time with them but I sometimes just like to spend time in my room on my own. Just tell them you want some alone time, I'm sure they'll understand.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're explaining alot of the population nowadays...

I love my family to peices... But i spend majority of my time in my room.. Every now and again i'll be with them for like an hour, then back up to my room.. then in a few hours back down there again.

Its natural to want time alone.

ReputationRep:
    i love my family soo sooo sooo muchhh but i still prefer to be alonee!!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I just feel so guilty about this...

I want time alone in my house and when my family are home. I mean I love them but enjoy my alone time more. Its cutting me up inside becuase I love them and want to spend time with them but like my own time.

what the ***** wrong with me
    There's nothing wrong with you at all. Everyone needs some time to their self. If you can't get away then make your excuses and tell them that you want to do some work or something that you need to do by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    There's nothing wrong with you at all. Everyone needs some time to their self. If you can't get away then make your excuses and tell them that you want to do some work or something that you need to do by yourself.

i disagree not everyone does

when i lived with my parents my mam used to be out at work 3 hours of a night time so it was just me and my dad, i used to sit in my room and watch TV (cause my dad never watched the programs i did) then i started feeling guilty that i wasnt spending time with my dad and that he was on his own so a couple of nights i would sit with him and we would watch TV together, stopped me feeling guilty and i still got my time alone

now im never alone (with my bf 24/7) and i love it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.