Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Quick query regarding an A level I took in... 2008?

It was a part time A level I took in law just to see about the subject, I took the January exam and got a few marks from an A. I never sat my summer exams for the subject as attended mainly out of interest... As I had other exams to revise for, i concentrated on them.

However...

I'm now in my 2nd year of uni (studying law)... And would like clarification on my C.V.

Would I have to put the grade I achieved on? If I even did achieve a grade, as I never sat all of the exams.

Or am I able to have it deleted from my history at all? From the point of view that if an employer did a check on me?

Any help welcome,

ReputationRep:
    The board was AQA, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that you have to put the grade if you don't want to. I'm sure thats what I've been told :s. I doubt employers would hold it against you anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to the mod that moved this ^ I got a bit lost in the forum...!

True, but if they did a check that said I got X Y Z as was listed on my C.V.

And then it showed that I had a U grade in Law that I had omitted from my application, could this not amount to dishonesty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan harding)
    Thanks to the mod that moved this ^ I got a bit lost in the forum...!

True, but if they did a check that said I got X Y Z as was listed on my C.V.

And then it showed that I had a U grade in Law that I had omitted from my application, could this not amount to dishonesty?
    Not at all, everyone puts the positive things on their CV and ommits the negative (that isn't needed). Just forget you took it, doubt it will have any impact at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acedei)
    Not at all, everyone puts the positive things on their CV and ommits the negative (that isn't needed). Just forget you took it, doubt it will have any impact at all.
    mmm I'm swaying towards this idea. The fact that I didn't sit the exam's, IMO, counts towards something.

It's not like I busted a nut, got a D, and was too embarrassed to include it. There's a legitimate reason for not including it, and I wouldn't be shy to explain why, if quizzed...

It's always bugged me and I do hear horror stories of similar cases...

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually quite curious about this now, and so have done a tad of research (yes I have some time on my hands - I'm trying to stay awake late as I'm working nights over the weekend ). Anyway, I found this on this website http://www.uea.ac.uk/ccen/applications/cv.shtml:

Poor A-level grades
    Although entry into some professions like Law or Accountancy requires good A-level grades, for many other opportunities it will be your education and experience achieved in the last 3 or 4 years that it is more important. The question still remains should you include them or not?

•If you decide to include poor A-level grades on your CV, ensure that your subsequent education shows improvement and progression. There are many reasons for poor grades and in cases of illness or unusual circumstances it is possible to include a cover note with your application briefly explaining the situation and how your academic performance was affected, highlighting your subsequent achievements.
    •If you omit your grades then it is likely that the employer will want to know why you have excluded them. If the rest of your application is excellent then you will probably get the chance to explain at interview.

So basically, you can decide not to put them on there, but if they do check, they might ask you why. So...don't know if this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, really do appreciate you taking the time out to have a look at that and write it up for me. !

That's definitely helped... As I didn't achieve a grade I think I'll omit them... If quizzed about it, I'm sure the fact that I'm currently studying for a degree in law would dampen any suggestions that I wasn't academic able to challenge the subject...

For what it's worth I'll state that I was ill on the day and as I went on to study law at undergrad, it wasn't worth re-taking the exams in the following january...

mmm....

I dunno ^_^ !

Thanks for the help though... that does shine some light onto my situation .

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.