Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, so my parents are on holiday and I need to get road tax for the car I'm named on (ran out a lil while ago).

Today I just got my MOT cert and went on the dvla website to try getting tax. They state you must be the registered owner to get the road tax.

Can anyone tell me if I can get it online? And if not is there anything stopping me from getting it done in a post office. (I am not the owner of the car I am just a named driver)

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to do it as long as you have access to the relevant documentation, a means of payment and want teh tax disc to be sent to the registered address - effectively buying it on behalf of the owner.

ReputationRep:
    PS.. you cant drive the car until the tax disk is in the window... so if you get it online you still cant drive until it arrives in the post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir)
    PS.. you cant drive the car until the tax disk is in the window... so if you get it online you still cant drive until it arrives in the post.
    Hogwash

You get a certain grace period from the expiry of your old tax disc where you won't get booked for being out of date - specifically to allow for postage etc.

5 Days Leeway

I suspect in the OPs case 'a lil while ago' may be more than 5 days, but also suspected you were generalising? :top2:

ReputationRep:
    To quote your own source

"This will only apply where the new tax disc has been applied for before the current one expires"

ReputationRep:
    as long as you have the V5 you can do it on line - it's all you need. (and the reg number obviously)

You *CAN* drive it without displaying a disc, the worst that will happen is you'll get a £60 fine if caught without displaying a valid one; However, in leiu of ordering a new one, you won't show up on ANPR, and if a sharp-eyed copper does pull you, 9/10 times they will see that it's just been applied for, and understand that it is coming through the post. Yes the process is set as 'five days' but police do use their common sense and discresion (at times :laugh:)

don't leave it parked in public roads where there are traffic wardens though; they're at it too now and slap fines on you for not displaying a tax disc (they take a photo, leave a notice and ship it off to the DVLA who check if your taxed and issue the relevant fine if it is/isnt taxed.

ReputationRep:
    thanks all the problem I'm having is that the payment will be coming from my account so will this be a problem?? I have the documentation but concerned that the payment name won't match the owner. What do you guys think? If I go to a post office I don't need ID do I?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    thanks all the problem I'm having is that the payment will be coming from my account so will this be a problem?? I have the documentation but concerned that the payment name won't match the owner. What do you guys think? If I go to a post office I don't need ID do I?
    you don't need ID at the post office no. Well I never have anyway.

And as for buying it online, well what difference does it make who is paying? What if the real registered owner didn't have a bank account (unlikely but you never know). They'd have to get somebody else to buy it for them and then give them the money back.

What if the registered owner had mobility difficulties? They'd likely ask their carer to go to the post office and buy it for them.

It's only logical.

ReputationRep:
    You can use payment from any account online. Stop worrying and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    Done and Done, they didn't require a shipping address, I'm assuming they're sending it to the registration address right?

Also If I can't get to the shipping address (busy at uni ect) is the car road legal or not?

(Original post by Good bloke)
    You can use payment from any account online. Stop worrying and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming they're sending it to the registration address right?

Also If I can't get to the shipping address (busy at uni ect) is the car road legal or not?
    Of course, but the car won't be legal until the tax disc is in the windscreen.

ReputationRep:
    Done and Done, they didn't require a shipping address, I'm assuming they're sending it to the registration address right?
    They automatically send it to whatever address the car is registered to.

If you can't pick up the tax disc, then your car is still legally taxed. But, if you drive the car and get caught without the tax disc, you can be done for "failure to display". This is not the same as having no tax and carries a £60 fine as punishment (no points).

Though you'd have to get a very anal copper who would do you for "failure to display" when the car is legally taxed. Carry around the online receipt and then on the off chance you get pulled over, show this to the police and I would hope they would use discretion and let you on your way.

ReputationRep:
    coolio

ReputationRep:
    If you park on a public road, as said above, a traffic warden can give you a ticket as well, and if done, it is unlikely you will be able to appeal it, as the government do state you need to have the tax disc displayed (not just brought) to drive / park on public roads. (The exception to this is where you have an expired tax disc on display, which is less than 5 days out of date (so it is the 5th of the month or before) AND you brought a tax disc BEFORE the end of the last month).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.